Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 wall charger, 3-phase install question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, have a 2023 MYP that I want to home charge.
I have a new 3-phase board. I plan on buying 16mm2 (4C+E) cable to run from the board to the Gen 3 wall charger.

My question is, what size 3-pole breaker do I install, 32A or 60A ?

I’ve been reading online that 60A is good to support the 16mm2 cable however the manual says 32A.
Bit confused.

If I’m limited to 32A breaker is the 16mm2 overkill?

IMG_1784.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SignalX
An electrician will be doing the work 100%, I am just procuring parts on my end (I have access to cheaper rates).

To note the above reply, a CB is there to protect the cable from over current supply and melting the wires.

You can add a 40A CB in with the 6mm2, the charging limits are set when commissioning the Gen 3 Wall Charger. There is a setting there which asks you what CB you have installed. I guess this is so that it knows how to regulate supply to the car, even though the car can take 32A continuous.

Reactions: mongo
Upvote 0
Standard breakers are rated for 80% of their rated current continuously.

I don’t believe that’s the case in Australia. It’s an American thing (derating to 80% for continuous load). Here, a 10A GPO should be dimensioned for continuous draw.

UMC tails initially supplied here were 8/10A and 12/15A due to that US legacy but the tails supplied now are 10/10A and 15/15A and work fine.

Upvote 0
Personally I'd be asking the sparky to install a 40A breaker
Gota cover the loss in the cable too.
You can add a 40A CB in with the 6mm2

There is no reason to add a 40A CB when the Wall Connector can at best only use 32A.
This is just asking for trouble

A properly sized CB is rated to the current the circuit is rated to continuously carry. Nothing to do with cable losses.
So a 32A CB is rated for continuous 32A in Australia

The best advice here is to get a qualified electrician.

Also note that QLD don't allow more than 20A per dedicated circuit in a single phase scenario.
Howevera 32A single phase is possible in a 3phase setting - again check with electrician

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Upvote 0
So what is the current at which it will operate when continuously loaded under worst case scenario?

You have to check the tripping curve of the circuit breaker. Eg, Most circuit breakers installed in Australia are "C" curve. That is why you will see more than likely C32 indicated on the breaker. A 32A circuit breaker with 32A of current running through it is 1x its rated current, looking at the chart, at 64A, eg 2x rated current. it will take a whole 50 seconds approx to trip. At 33A, its going to take a VERY long time, hours, perhaps never if ambient temperatures are low. Common circuit breakers are thermal/magnetic, meaning that cant trip by heat generated by excess current (thermal) and magnetism generated by excess current. The point of the magnetic trip is that it doesn't have to wait for the bi-metallic strip to heat up before disconnection takes place. You can see in the chart that up to 5x rated current, its handled thermally, and after that, magnetically, Its a general requirement that circuit breakers disconnect a circuit with 0.4s at 7x the rated current for a C curve.

When installing a new circuit, you have to size cable to meet three main requirements (excluding physical factors):

- Current Carrying Capacity
- Voltage Drop
- Loop impedance to make sure the circuit breaker will operate within required time limits under fault conditions, eg the 7x rated current with 0.4s.

I wouldn't bother up rating all cable to allow for a C40 circuit breaker just because the maximum current is 32A on a C32 CB. If you were worried, you could set the wall charger to 31A in software. Rating everything for 40A would get expensive for no real gain.

You will also see another rating on circuit breakers like "3kA" or "6kA" etc. That is the maximum current that the circuit breaker can disconnected safely without welding it's contacts together. Again, something that the electrician should be checking. Although, its rare to see more than 1.5kA of prospective fault current in a residential installation.

2023-11-13 17_57_29-C Curve breaker - Google Search — Mozilla Firefox.png

Upvote 0