Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger installation woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all.
I am experiencing difficulty getting a 240V circuit run from the breaker box in our basement to the garage for a charger. Only one electrical contractor has replied to my inquiry, and they want to charge me $1600. This does not include repair to the ceiling and/or drywall that has to be cut away, and it will have to be cut.

I have ordered a Model 3 that I am very excited about, but this extra cost and difficulty is causing me to consider pulling the plug on this whole idea.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Maybe I shouldn't be flinching at an extra $2,500 on a $55,000 car, but this really is giving me doubts.

Sounds like a job for conduit. Run it near the ceiling, paint it, and it should do the trick. Of course there is thee little bit of drywall cutting at the circuit breaker, but it should be OK out in the open. Ten years ago I would have done the work myself, but I've found it harder to do things lately. Glad you've found an electrician who is familiar with Tesla requirements.

Reactions: westie10019
I found an electrician on the Tesla website.

Thanks! I have sent them an e-mail, but I would be surprised if they can do any better than the company who gave me the quote.

Sounds like a job for conduit. Run it near the ceiling, paint it, and it should do the trick. Of course there is thee little bit of drywall cutting at the circuit breaker, but it should be OK out in the open. Ten years ago I would have done the work myself, but I've found it harder to do things lately. Glad you've found an electrician who is familiar with Tesla requirements.
Thanks for your input, but conduit won’t be too helpful in this case because we have a finished basement, and we still have to get it up and over to the garage.

It cost me $1100 to have the electrical work done which included conduit. The parts alone came to $600, labor was $500. This is just the cost of building out the infrastructure for EV's. Also remember there is a tax credit of 30% of the installation and parts. My total cost was $1500 including the charger so I'll be getting $500 of that back.