Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts for a new charger install.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to install a charger in my garage for my new MYLR.

Of course lots of reading on all the electric part requirements here and elsewhere.

I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff as some of it is unrefundable and not cheap. Especially the 130ft of wire that I am about to buy.

Wire:
Will be run through basement ceiling to the garage. Unfortunately I cannot take it to the attic and drop down, therefore CGFI circuit breaker is required?

And of course I ordered the Tesla Wall Connector.
Anything I am missing?

Thanks

I just reread your original post. The GFCI breaker should only be needed if you're putting in an outlet. If you're installing a wall connector, then I expect (and the install instructions state) that you should just use a regular breaker. Not sure what difference it would make whether you are going through the attic or not. If you're really in doubt, you might want to have both on hand, then return the one the electrician doesn't use.

For what it's worth, an electrician can probably get this stuff cheaper (or mark it up and match your price) through a supply house. If they buy it, they'll know exactly what tools/grommets/clamps/etc. they'll need for the job, so you won't run the risk of forgetting anything.

Curious on seeing this install complete though, not many go the 6/2 MC route.

Is the wall of the garage that is shared with the house wood and siding or brick and block construction?
MC cannot be run inside concrete block hollow spaces.

Do you plan to enter the Wall Connector from the back or from beneath the Wall Connector mounting plate?
MC needs to be run where it can't be damaged, so ceiling (high) down to the Wall Connector would be OK, as would from behind the Wall Connector. I am not sure you can run MC exposed, low from the garage floor up to the Wall Connector where it might be damaged.

Ahh, ok. I was under an asumption that if it's in the garage and under a certain height then you need GFCI. I definitely do not need an outlet, just a straight shot into the wall charger housing.
Thanks!
guys, I have installed 2x Gen3s in my garage, did tons of research and prep, they are running great and amazing
straight from Tesla related to GFCI breakers and the gen 3:

"For maximum power output, install a standard double pole 60 amp circuit breaker. Wall Connector includes integrated GFCI protection - do not install a GFCI circuit breaker."

Only use the 60 amp breaker.

also, I installed the Gen3 in the garage, will help with longevity, and the cable outside using a throughwall method
exactly like this
1686603069832.png

Reactions: Cata and dimitriz
Is the wall of the garage that is shared with the house wood and siding or brick and block construction?
MC cannot be run inside concrete block hollow spaces.

Do you plan to enter the Wall Connector from the back or from beneath the Wall Connector mounting plate?
MC needs to be run where it can't be damaged, so ceiling (high) down to the Wall Connector would be OK, as would from behind the Wall Connector. I am not sure you can run MC exposed, low from the garage floor up to the Wall Connector where it might be damaged.
Ok, Interesting.
My run is about 100ft. About 60 of them would be inside the house where it would be ran in the ceiling by the steel support beam. All existing electric wiring is taking the same path. To get to the garage I have to do a 90deg along the joist and then drill through a 2x6 to the garage. Now, the 2x6 is laying on the concrete foundation. Once I come out into the garage (under the steps leading into the house, so out of the way) I am going to be 1.5ft off the floor. Then it would be ran on the drywall secured with metal clamps into the studs behind them at the same height all the way to the garage door, go over the door, and then down into the TWC.

My reasoning for MC wire was so I wouldn't need to run regular wiring in a conduit throughout the garage. That it would be already protected. Costwise MC would be $50-100 more than even buying a conduit but is acceptable.

I do have another PITA option of coming into the garage and running it almost straight up into the attic, then dropping it down into TWC.

You need an electrician who knows the specific limitations when using MC. In my house the electrician (Master electrician of 35+ years) decided to run MC from my basement, on the north side of my house where the electrical panel is located, to the middle of the basement and up following the plumbing stack into the attic. From there the same wire continues unspliced to the south side of the house where it penetrates the wood siding of the home and into the attached garage that was added on to the home. The MC comes down from a height of 8 feet, down the brick wall on the inside of the garage to a height of 60 inches where there is a junction box and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Total distance is ~70 feet. The MC wire enters the junction box from the top, so no MC is lower than 5 feet from the floor of the garage. You PITA option sounds like it would meet code, not sure about your other path unless you use conduit for at least part of the run.

Reactions: dimitriz
Talked to an electrician a few days ago. Ironically it's the same guy who wired my whole house when it was built almost 20y ago, lol.
MC in the garage is fine and no need to conduit it.
We are going with Option #2 and running wire through the attic.
He is supposed to check pricing today and let me know the cost of the cable locally. I am paying his cost for it and then just labor for his time.
Very excited to finally do this.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
My goal and environment, 2x Teslas charging at the same time, main 200 amp panel at the opposite side of the house in the basement from the garage. Put a subpanel in the garage to service 2x Tesla Generation 3 Wall Connectors and enable future circuit expansion. The Gen3s have built in GFCI protection.
Here is what I did: main panel added 125amp breaker, 65 foot total run across the basement behind a finished wall,-------------SRE Cable 1-1-1-3----------to garage subpanel 125amp breaker, in sub panel 2x 60 amp breakers, 4 gauge 2 conductor and ground to each gen 3 via conduit. Biggest advice, torque all connections tight, go with largest gauge wire you can afford, dont go cheap. I went with 4 gauge for each 60, where I did not want to take a chance with 6 gauge. One gen 3 the wires enter the top and the other gen 3 they enter from the bottom. The gen 3s are installed inside the garage. The charge handles and cables run through two separate RV through wall wall plates to outside handle mounts. Like the idea the gen 3s are protected from the elements aging them even though they are weather proof. Its worked out great where everyone finds the daily electric connections to the Teslas feels natural. We are very happy with the performance of the setup and the wife is happy with the look. Each vehicle has the scheduled charging for 1am to be ready for TOU. The offer of TOU by the local electrical utility is slated for Jan 2024.

1687177568270.png

Non problem
Do the electric and mount the wall connector inside
Purchase 2x RV thru wall plates from amazon
Drill the hole/hole saw
Full the path inside rhe wall around the cable once you put it through with insulation
Purchase a handle mount for the outside from amazon
Outside look
1687559241654.png

Reactions: Cata