Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner and also first time owner of a 2024 model 3 highland long range. Unfortunately I have to park it outside and installed the charger on the exterior of my garage.

If I back into the spot I am about 4 feet away from the charger. But backing into the spot is a pain every time I get home. I would like to be able to pull in but that requires me to pull too far forward and to run the cable around the back of my car.

In short I want to bury the cable so I can drive over it or have some sort of protector so I can drive over it and leave the excess cable and connector on the left side of the car.

I tried to scribble a photo of the situation. The dropped pin is where the charger is installed. I would like to pull into the spot (which would put the charge port on the left side furthest from the charger.)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 2.16.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 2.16.58 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
I wouldn't recommend burying the cable with the car-side connector on it if that is what you are asking. Instead, extend the charger to electrical panel run and install the charger on a post. This would be done according to whatever your local code is but likely means installing it in conduit and burying it to a certain depth.

Reactions: fholbert
Upvote 0
I wouldn't recommend burying the cable with the car-side connector on it if that is what you are asking. Instead, extend the charger to electrical panel run and install the charger on a post. This would be done according to whatever your local code is but likely means installing it in conduit and burying it to a certain depth.
What do you think about leaving it lay across the ground in one of those cable protectors that are rated for vehicle traffic?

Upvote 0
Personally, I would continue to reverse into the (very long) driveway if you want to leave the connector/charger where it's at.
  • It's usually considered safer when leaving a driveway to be going forward. You have better sight lines that way. No matter which way you park, you'll have to reverse sometime.
  • Backing in allows all four doors to be opened while in the position for charging.
  • From the looks of the satellite photo, if you park "head in", the passenger side doors may not be able to open all the way if you want the car to remain on the concrete pad.
  • It doesn't cost anything to be backing in. If you go the way you suggest, then the traffic-rated cable protector or relocating the connector (buried power in conduit to pole-mounted connector) will run some dollars.
This is from someone who reverses into their (short) driveway all the time. And I don't charge at home so that has nothing to do with it. When arriving, I look up and down the sidewalk on either side of my house for people/animals. I pull over to the side just before my driveway, look in the rear view mirror for anyone coming and when clear, turn left 45 degrees across the road then back in. I can do this as I always arrive at my house from the same direction.

If you insist on using the cable protector then you'll need to both store and protect the charging handle when not in use. A holster which is designed to hold the handle mounted on a post should do. Something like this:

Upvote 0
Personally, I would continue to reverse into the (very long) driveway if you want to leave the connector/charger where it's at.
  • It's usually considered safer when leaving a driveway to be going forward. You have better sight lines that way. No matter which way you park, you'll have to reverse sometime.
  • Backing in allows all four doors to be opened while in the position for charging.
  • From the looks of the satellite photo, if you park "head in", the passenger side doors may not be able to open all the way if you want the car to remain on the concrete pad.
  • It doesn't cost anything to be backing in. If you go the way you suggest, then the traffic-rated cable protector or relocating the connector (buried power in conduit to pole-mounted connector) will run some dollars.
This is from someone who reverses into their (short) driveway all the time. And I don't charge at home so that has nothing to do with it. When arriving, I look up and down the sidewalk on either side of my house for people/animals. I pull over to the side just before my driveway, look in the rear view mirror for anyone coming and when clear, turn left 45 degrees across the road then back in. I can do this as I always arrive at my house from the same direction.

If you insist on using the cable protector then you'll need to both store and protect the charging handle when not in use. A holster which is designed to hold the handle mounted on a post should do. Something like this:

This.

But if you don't want to back in you could install a 4 x 4 wood post and mount this cable holder to it:

Or This.

Upvote 0