Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Locking Issue - Would Prefer To Disable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok... let a noob ask a dumb Q.

I charge at work sometimes. when the car is charged and I go to move it, the only way I can get the car to let go of the cord is by opening the app and going to charging/unlock charging port. unlocking the car doesn't release it, and there no button on the dashboard display either. is there a more convenient way to get the car to let go of the charger? thanks!

Ok... let a noob ask a dumb Q.

I charge at work sometimes. when the car is charged and I go to move it, the only way I can get the car to let go of the cord is by opening the app and going to charging/unlock charging port. unlocking the car doesn't release it, and there no button on the dashboard display either. is there a more convenient way to get the car to let go of the charger? thanks!
Using a J1772 adapter?

just click the release button on the adapter when the car is unlocked, it should release the lock in the charge port.

At least that’s what works for me.

Reactions: Shemp and davewill
Yeah, there's two basic techniques. One is the two hand technique where you hold the plug normally with one hand and hold the adapter in the other. Press the J1772 release button, then pull them out together. In the second technique, you push the button, release it, push the plug back in to lock it into the adapter again, then pull both out together. It's easier than it sounds.

Unfortunately, what doesn't work very is unplugging the J1772, then separately pulling out the adapter. Unless you do it pretty quickly the port will lock on the adapter (and the door will try to close). Then you really DO have to use the app or the touch screen to unlock the port again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shemp

Note that the car will not release the plug when the car is asleep, which normally happens somewhere between a few minutes and a couple of hours after charging is complete. This is true whether you're using a J1772 EVSE with Tesla's adapter or a Tesla EVSE. Opening a door (or sometimes just lightly pressing a door handle, although that's never worked for me) will wake the car up. You should then be able to depress the button on the J1772 handle, as others have said, to get the car to release the adapter. You might be able to bypass opening the door by opening the Tesla app before you head to your car to move it; that should wake it up and enable you to unplug. I've not tested this procedure, though. Since you say your goal is to move the car, opening the door and then unplugging is likely to be the easiest solution, although not an intuitive one.

Reactions: Shemp
Here is another convenient option. I use the "Stats For Tesla" app on my iphone. Stats For Tesla lets you use Siri voice commands for different functions. I simply say "Hey, Siri, Open the Charge Port". If the charge port has the charger plug in it, it will unlock it. I don't know how long it will remain unlocked after the command is given .

Reactions: Thp3 and Shemp