Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Operating Temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While reading some upcoming Supercharger posts, I noticed in one of the pictures that the charger operating temperature range is -30C to +40C which is roughly -34F to 104F. We have already had quite a few occurrences in recent years where temperatures in summer were hitting and surpassing the upper 104F limit. Are the chargers completely inoperable at those temps or do they just slow down?

While reading some upcoming Supercharger posts, I noticed in one of the pictures that the charger operating temperature range is -30C to +40C which is roughly -34F to 104F. We have already had quite a few occurrences in recent years where temperatures in summer were hitting and surpassing the upper 104F limit. Are the chargers completely inoperable at those temps or do they just slow down?
They work fine. Those operating temp ranges are just what the testing labs tested up to for rating the equipment (testing to higher/lower temps is harder and more expensive), but they are still functional outside of those ranges. When it is very hot out they may charge slower as it's harder for them to get rid of heat, but they'll still work. I haven't heard of any issues in the very cold weather besides issues related to the car's battery being too cold to accept charge, but this is unrelated to the charging equipment.