Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger port cover broke from power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile service came and fixed my charge port door. Yay!

Downside, after leaving and saying the firmware was updating I am not able to charge. Awaiting response from them, but this kind of sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_8492.jpeg
    IMG_8492.jpeg
    703.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 20
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Try this:

Might fix your problem immediately.

(I had to do this when I updated my charge port to support CCS)
It was a good try, but no luck. It seems a ground cable may not have been reconnected by the tech... Mobile service says they will be back next Tuesday. I don't think I can make it that long on my charge, so it may be back to the E-Bike 18 miles each way! I'm usually tempted to do all my own work (including building my own lithium batteries) so I'm not to worried about attempting to fix this myself, but since it's under warranty and a result of their service I'm hesitant to dig in there.

Attachments

• IMG_8504.jpeg
    IMG_8504.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 21
Still no replies from the app on my message about getting service sooner than a week after being left with a car unable to charge. 2 calls to the service center where I was told my issue was escalated and I would hear back within 24 hours have also come and gone without help. I love this car and have enjoyed my Tesla experience, but this is pretty poor.

• Informative
Still no update from Tesla. This is probably the worst customer service experience I’ve ever had.
Unacceptable. I'm not sure how close the nearest SC is, but my first course of action were I in your shoes would have been to drive there and not leave until it was fixed. If it's too far to drive to, I guess I would have tried fixing it myself and if I screwed anything up, fight them to pay for it. Although realistically you can't really make it worse by trying (or just looking), and if you did, they'd be unable to distinguish whatever they did wrong initially from whatever you did wrong trying to fix it. Messing with the charge port is actually not as scary as it sounds - it's pretty straightforward to replace the charge port ECU e.g. to do the CCS retrofit, which I've done. I'd at least take a look and make sure it's not something obvious like one of the connector cables just loose.

In any case, I hope it's sorted quickly for you.

Just wondering... are you able to supercharge still?
I was going to suggest that but held off as the errors (ground connection may be disconnected, proximity and pilot status can't be determined) seem like it would make supercharging fail also, and OP seems like they don't have enough range left to gamble (unless they have an SC right near their house).

I’m confident I could open this up and repair it; if it’s just a wire not connected. My closest service center is 100 miles away. I do have a super charger only 12 miles away I could try, but I really only care about this being fixed so it doesn’t matter a ton to me if that could work.
I’ve only had positive things to say about Tesla ownership to this point, but the lack of clear contact and communication has been fairly damning.
I don’t so much mind the actual mistake that the tech made, and the continued lack of response. The people I do get ahold of are very agreeable and apologetic, but never follow up with the messages they say will show in the app (and somehow I never get their surveys either).

• Informative
I’m confident I could open this up and repair it; if it’s just a wire not connected. My closest service center is 100 miles away. I do have a super charger only 12 miles away I could try, but I really only care about this being fixed so it doesn’t matter a ton to me if that could work.
I’ve only had positive things to say about Tesla ownership to this point, but the lack of clear contact and communication has been fairly damning.
I don’t so much mind the actual mistake that the tech made, and the continued lack of response. The people I do get ahold of are very agreeable and apologetic, but never follow up with the messages they say will show in the app (and somehow I never get their surveys either).
If you want opinions (that’s what posting here is for, I guess), don’t bother with the SuperCharger - just open that bad boy up and take a look. Post pics here if the problem isn’t obvious. In parallel, keep pressuring the service center to send a ranger ASAP. Good luck!

Reactions: father_of_6
Well today is the day! I really hope mobile service shows up, because it’s 20 miles to work where the appointment is. Sure, I’ve got 60 miles of range left, but it’s 33 out so I’m not too confident that is accurate still…

I get there is a degree of inconvenience to owning a Tesla is a state that doesn’t have a service center. Usually a loaner car would have been in order for this from another brand. While I’m disappointed by the lack of follow through and communication from Tesla I wasn’t expecting them to send me another car or anything. I would find it reasonable for them to pay for a rental for the past week. I’m still a fan of the car and the model of not having a dealership and using rangers, but this has finally given me the “other side” experience of the argument against Tesla.

Reactions: father_of_6
I’m still a fan of the car and the model of not having a dealership and using rangers, but this has finally given me the “other side” experience of the argument against Tesla.

Yeah, my closest service center is 75 miles away. When I first got the car, I made an appointment there for an alignment... when I got there, they said the person who would do the alignment wasn't in today. 🤔

I've also had to reschedule appointments several times until they had loaners.

The thing is... I've had enough ICE service center / mechanic experiences to balance it out (and then some). My Tesla experience still wins, hands down.

Success! Jon from the Charlotte Service center was awesome (and I rewarded him with a couple of nice 3D additions for his personal M3P), and we are now charging and operating again (I was down to 8% when I got here this morning). I'm glad I didn't do this myself, because it ended up being rather extensive.
It seems the connections were made loosely when the original tech replaced the port cover. That loose connection caused it to short out when it was then plugged in to charge. They ended up having to replace the entire charge port and charge port ECU. Here are a couple photos for the curious.

Attachments

• IMG_8552.jpg
    IMG_8552.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8553.jpg
    IMG_8553.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8554.jpg
    IMG_8554.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 10
I'm very glad this worked out well in the end.

While I do think that Tesla's approach to customer service is difficult for us consumers (don't call us, we'll call you... Hollywood style), I do still feel like they're getting the job done.

People don't like being kept in the dark, excessive waits, and not having a responsive point of contact. It leads to a feeling of lack of control... and in today's society where we have constant control at the tips of our fingers, people get upset about it.

I don't see Tesla throwing more labor at this though. They tend to solve things with software and systems instead of manual labor. I personally like that approach, but I also see the deficit it creates.

I'm very glad this worked out well in the end.

While I do think that Tesla's approach to customer service is difficult for us consumers (don't call us, we'll call you... Hollywood style), I do still feel like they're getting the job done.

People don't like being kept in the dark, excessive waits, and not having a responsive point of contact. It leads to a feeling of lack of control... and in today's society where we have constant control at the tips of our fingers, people get upset about it.

I don't see Tesla throwing more labor at this though. They tend to solve things with software and systems instead of manual labor. I personally like that approach, but I also see the deficit it creates.
I agree it's preferable to the dealer experiences I've had for recalls. I've never spent more than $5000 on a car before this, so I'm not always certain of what to expect. I would have been more ok if when I called they just said "tough luck, we can't get there sooner." It was maddening that they kept saying they were going to do something, and never did. Being out a of use for a week from a new car is also unacceptable. Since they can't do a loaner I would have expected Uber credits, or at least some Supercharger credits for the inconvenience! It also firmly leaves us in the category of Teslas shouldn't be for someone who has to rely on that vehicle to get to work, or they may get fired.

Update: The service tech was great but I'm sure he was stressed being behind schedule with this being more extensive than expected. He left my trunk liner laying in the parking lot🙄

Attachments

• IMG_8564.jpg
    IMG_8564.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Funny