Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging abruptly stops after 10 mins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will be an error message in the car as to why it stopped. In the very VAST majority of these cases, it has something to do with your charging setup.

In order for anyone to attempt to help you, you will need to provide a lot more information, as you provided almost nothing for anyone to go on to help you. Stuff like:

What are you using to charge (mobile connector that comes with the car, tesla wall connector, other charging device)?

If mobile connector that comes with the car, what type of plug are you plugging into? Was this plug pre existing, or was it recently installed by an electrician?

Anything else plugged into the same circuit you are attempting to charge the car on (note that many garage outlets have other things in the residence on the same circuit)

What charging speed (amps) does the car display when you are charging? What voltage? (both on screen in the car).

what is the error message displayed in the cars history for charging?

Stuff like that.

Thanks. I am using the mobile connector that comes with the car.. I installed the 240 v outlet in the garage by the electrician .. strangely I am not seeing any error message .. charging just stopped abruptly with no message. Screen just days charging stopped. Attaching the screen shot of what it looks like in app and on the car screen.. this is giving me headache .. went to service station but they said they do not see anything wrong at their end and there might be some issue with my home charging outlet

Attachments

• 3DF4D200-4191-47D2-B164-A43CF2CC7C7E.png
    3DF4D200-4191-47D2-B164-A43CF2CC7C7E.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 9D30D887-1F0A-4865-976A-FD8240F812CC.png
    9D30D887-1F0A-4865-976A-FD8240F812CC.png
    345.4 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 160
Are you sure that the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter is fully inserted into the Gen2 Mobile Connector chassis? When charging stops are there any lights glowing or flashing on the Mobile Connector? Try charging using the provided 120V NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter. If you can charge from a 120V receptacle then the problem is probably not the Mobile Connector or the Tesla vehicle but likely with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle wiring connections.

Another thing you can try is charging using a public Level 2 charging station (use PlugShare to locate sites). You will need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter to charge at the public charging station. If you can't charge at the public charging station this will eliminate the Tesla Mobile Connector and the NEMA 14-50 receptacle as the source of the problem, point to something within the Tesla vehicle. Next stop, Tesla Service because then there is definitely something wrong with the charge port on the Tesla or one of the other charging components.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you have a scheduled departure or scheduled charge time set? This could've been set in the app or in the car. If so, this could cause this exact behavior. It might charge very briefly to determine charge speed, then stop and wait to start charging again until scheduled to.

If you hit 'start charging' in the app, does it resume charging normally and go until the set limit? If so, that's probably a good sign for your outlet and Mobile Connector.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe
Are you sure that the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter is fully inserted into the Gen2 Mobile Connector chassis? When charging stops are there any lights glowing or flashing on the Mobile Connector? Try charging using the provided 120V NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter. If you can charge from a 120V receptacle then the problem is probably not the Mobile Connector or the Tesla vehicle but likely with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle wiring connections.

Another thing you can try is charging using a public Level 2 charging station (use PlugShare to locate sites). You will need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter to charge at the public charging station. If you can't charge at the public charging station this will eliminate the Tesla Mobile Connector and the NEMA 14-50 receptacle as the source of the problem, point to something within the Tesla vehicle. Next stop, Tesla Service because then there is definitely something wrong with the charge port on the Tesla or one of the other charging components.
Thanks.. it is plugged properly. I see all lights are green on the adapter ... and no light on the mobile connector .. I did try with the regular outlet and facing the same issue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 131
Is there any chance you have a scheduled departure or scheduled charge time set? This could've been set in the app or in the car. If so, this could cause this exact behavior. It might charge very briefly to determine charge speed, then stop and wait to start charging again until scheduled to.

If you hit 'start charging' in the app, does it resume charging normally and go until the set limit? If so, that's probably a good sign for your outlet and Mobile Connector.
I do not have the schedule set .... when I start from app it starts back again but still same issue

Thanks.. it is plugged properly. I see all lights are green on the adapter ... and no light on the mobile connector .. I did try with the regular outlet and facing the same issue
Ok; Did you check, as @Benito1283 suggested, to see if Scheduled Departure - Charging or Scheduled Charging is set?

Since you can't charge using either 120V or 240V using the Tesla Mobile Connector you should use the Tesla app to open a service request regarding the Mobile Connector. Briefly state that you are unable to charge using the Mobile Connector using either 120V or 240V. Tesla Mobile Service should be willing, able to bring you a replacement Mobile Connector. It is less likely but still possible that it could be the Tesla vehicle's charge port of one of the other on-board charger components but you need to eliminate the Mobile Connector as the source of the problem, especially since Tesla Service has already tested your Tesla Model Y and stated that the vehicle is able to charge normally. (The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector has been known to fail; for a time in 2020/2021 there was a batch of bad Mobile Connectors.) If Tesla brings you a replacement Mobile Connector kit it will likely include the NEMA 5-15 120V power plug adapter but not the optional NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter; be sure you hang on to your NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter.

Last edited:
I went to the service station.. seems like issue with the evcharge app I downloaded few weeks back.. even though I deleted the all they still were pinging Tesla for remote causing issue with charging.. they told me to reset the password and I did and disallowed remote access.. it worked today and charging is working as expected.... Let's see how it goes in coming weeks.. will update if this sol works

Have you tried to limit the current below 30A? UMC is limited to 32A.
If the real issue is a hook still connecting the Tesla/his Tesla to the app's features, changing/lowering the current to the car, will make no difference. Some of these apps impose a ceiling on the range of charging. I know, did it to myself. Its not even a ceiling range that you can change inside the culprit app. @Srana1. not even changing the password completely disconnected them from my car. I contacted (my problem add developer), and tried asked to disconnect my car from the account, didn't work. They checked it, they said, they too could not get it to disconnect. I deleted my car, then deleted my account to cleared the connection. Be aware. @Srana1, keep an eye on it.

Could it be the Mobile Connector hanging unsupported from the plug like that? I vaguely recall reading on a thread here about someone having charging interruptions because the connector was not supported. Maybe try supporting the "Tesla box portion" of the connector so that there is no strain on the plug to the outlet or the connection to the "Tesla box portion" of the Mobile Connector? Tesla sells a kit to hold this and there are less expensive ones on Amazon too.

EDIT:
I now see the app solution a few post up. Glad you got it worked out. From that other thread it still might be a good idea to support the mobile connector.

Could it be the Mobile Connector hanging unsupported from the plug like that? I vaguely recall reading on a thread here about someone having charging interruptions because the connector was not supported. Maybe try supporting the "Tesla box portion" of the connector so that there is no strain on the plug to the outlet or the connection to the "Tesla box portion" of the Mobile Connector? Tesla sells a kit to hold this and there are less expensive ones on Amazon too.
Excellent suggestion. This is a pic of what I have used for 9 years now. And have not found anything better.
Simply a water bottle carrier.

Carrier-Water-Bottle.jpg

We have 2 Model Y’a that are being charged at home. One charges fine, the other started to stop charging about 2 months ago. It’s random, car will charge for 10 min, restart the charging, then another 3 min etc. Sometime it takes up to 15 restarts to charge to 80%. To make a long story short after many parts were replaced, I got this message from Tesla.

Hello Dean, this is Tesla Service. Our diagnostic team reviewed your vehicle's log data and confirmed that the concern you are experiencing is an issue that affects some Model Y and Model 3's. Engineering is aware of the severe impacts this issue is having on service and the customer experience, but resolving the issue is a large scope of work that is still in progress. At this time engineering is advising to turn sentry mode on to keep vehicle awake which can be a temporary work around to this issue. We appreciate your patience while this work is taking place. Future firmware packages are supposed to help alleviate this symptom. There will be no need to send a technician for your appointment. Please do not cancel through the app, we will take care of closing the visit so everything is documented properly. Thank you. Please reply "YES" to confirm receipt of this message.

We have 2 Model Y’a that are being charged at home. One charges fine, the other started to stop charging about 2 months ago. It’s random, car will charge for 10 min, restart the charging, then another 3 min etc. Sometime it takes up to 15 restarts to charge to 80%. To make a long story short after many parts were replaced, I got this message from Tesla.

Hello Dean, this is Tesla Service. Our diagnostic team reviewed your vehicle's log data and confirmed that the concern you are experiencing is an issue that affects some Model Y and Model 3's. Engineering is aware of the severe impacts this issue is having on service and the customer experience, but resolving the issue is a large scope of work that is still in progress. At this time engineering is advising to turn sentry mode on to keep vehicle awake which can be a temporary work around to this issue. We appreciate your patience while this work is taking place. Future firmware packages are supposed to help alleviate this symptom. There will be no need to send a technician for your appointment. Please do not cancel through the app, we will take care of closing the visit so everything is documented properly. Thank you. Please reply "YES" to confirm receipt of this message.
Unfortunately I got that message 2 months ago and Tesla still has not fixed the charging issue.

Like @Akikiki mentioned above, I had the OptiWatt app installed on my phone, and sometimes it decided to stop by car charging because it was not the ideal time of day for CO2 emissions at the power plant. Before I figured this out, it was driving me nuts and I couldn't figure out why my charging session kept stopping after a few minutes. I disabled this feature in the app, and my problem was solved. I might re-enable it, to help save the planet, but as a new Tesla owner, I don't want this feature right now.