Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Supercharger ignored charge limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has seen this. First time it's happened to me in a year+ and a lot of SC use. Car is a MS 100D, bought last spring.

I went to my normal Friday work spot (Leesburg, VA) and plugged into the supercharger as normal. Range was low, around 10mi, and I have the charge limit set to the top of the daily range (90%). I let the car charge fully, got the notification that charging was complete, and got out to the car maybe 20 minutes later. When I unplugged, the charge state was clearly over 95% by the battery icon, not just the range. In the charge screen it also displays as well over the charge limit set.

I've never run into this before. We've done plenty of road trips, but for those we're always unplugging right when we're supposed to. And I've used this supercharger several times now for a longer session like this, though normally I unplug within 5 minutes after getting a notification.

-Todd

...clearly over 95%...

Hi Todd:

If you don't mind me asking, what's your routine charge setting? Faithfully 90% or below?

If you don't regularly set at 90%, there might be more calculation drift.

So when you then set it at 90% that time, the old calculation was 90% but your car had a chance to recalibrate the calculation because of the near depletion at 10 miles, so the new one is 95%. Old 90% = newly calculated 95%.

It did stop at the old 90% but it then reflected the value to the newly calculated 95%.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your routine charge setting? Faithfully 90% or below?

We vary the limit setting a lot - typically we charge to 90% (and always at this SC), but I'll set the limit low during the week in case we need to top off at home.

Regardless of what target it calculated at the start of the charging session with regards to how much time it estimated to get to a SoC of 90%, when the SoC hit 90%, it should have stopped immediately.

We vary the limit setting a lot - typically we charge to 90% (and always at this SC), but I'll set the limit low during the week in case we need to top off at home.

Regardless of what target it calculated at the start of the charging session with regards to how much time it estimated to get to a SoC of 90%, when the SoC hit 90%, it should have stopped immediately.

Please go to your Tesla Account page and tell Tesla that they should change their way of charging calibration.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this. First time it's happened to me in a year+ and a lot of SC use. Car is a MS 100D, bought last spring.

I went to my normal Friday work spot (Leesburg, VA) and plugged into the supercharger as normal. Range was low, around 10mi, and I have the charge limit set to the top of the daily range (90%). I let the car charge fully, got the notification that charging was complete, and got out to the car maybe 20 minutes later. When I unplugged, the charge state was clearly over 95% by the battery icon, not just the range. In the charge screen it also displays as well over the charge limit set.

I've never run into this before. We've done plenty of road trips, but for those we're always unplugging right when we're supposed to. And I've used this supercharger several times now for a longer session like this, though normally I unplug within 5 minutes after getting a notification.

-Todd
Did you have a trip in the nav system? If so, and the trip requires charging higher than what your charge limit is, it will ignore the limit and give you what you need to complete the trip.

so...what if you set the charge to 100% for a sc on a trip and go to eat- when you get back you see it stopped at 90% or less and you get charged idle fee's when you set limit at 100%? is that possible?

Yes! Very possible. Due to calibration drift, your charge can stop even before reaching the desired setting with the message "complete", and thus, an idle fee as well because owners thought there's still a way to go so they would be caught off guard.