Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging automatically restarts after manually stopping it in the app (managing peak electric usage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pay a very low rate ($0.043/kwh) in exchange for a peak demand usage (one rate overall, another during 2-10PM). As a result, I charge very slowly whenever I can, between 5-12A, some times over multiple days. The software isn't really setup to either start AND stop during a window, or even better to pick a charging rate during a time window based on desired charge.

Around 7 or 8am, before we are using much power, I'll check if the car is done and manually stop it in the app if not. The app then says charging will resume at 10:15pm, the time I allow charging to start. In less than a minute, the car automatically starts charging again. I've even tried unlocking the charge port from the app, no worky. I have to physically unplug the car. I'm on v2020.8.1.

Do others have this problem, or otherwise have recommendations around managing peak electric usage?

IMG_6172.jpg
IMG_6173.jpg
IMG_6174.jpg

Last edited:
I pay a very low rate ($0.043/kwh) in exchange for a peak demand usage (one rate overall, another during 2-10PM). As a result, I charge very slowly whenever I can, between 5-12A, some times over multiple days. The software isn't really setup to either start AND stop during a window, or even better to pick a charging rate during a time window based on desired charge.

Around 7 or 8am, before we are using much power, I'll check if the car is done and manually stop it in the app if not. The app then says charging will resume at 10:15pm, the time I allow charging to start. In less than a minute, the car automatically starts charging again. I've even tried unlocking the charge port from the app, no worky. I have to physically unplug the car. I'm on v2020.8.1.

Do others have this problem, or otherwise have recommendations around managing peak electric usage?

View attachment 525570 View attachment 525572 View attachment 525571
That happened to me a few nights ago. I stopped the charging with the Tesla iPhone app just before the peak rate went into effect at 4pm. I left the car plugged in. I had set up the M3 to start charging at 8am when the electricity rate is lowest. But the next morning, I checked and the car started charging at 2am.