Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Between Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a silly question, but is it possible to charge one Tesla from another? I know about Superchargers, etc., but if someone really gets stuck out of juice with no Supercharger nearby, is there a way to charge the empty Tesla from a Tesla that still has juice? Somewhat similar to jumping one dead battery from a live one. Hopefully this never happens to me.

This is not possible to my knowledge. The charging ports are one direction. There has been talking about supporting by-directional but the use case was to power your house in the case of an outage but being able to help another car would be useful as well.

Reactions: Goldenco
This would really come in handy, I mean you see ICE swapping fuel all the time right?

The NAV will coach you to slow down if you are at risk of running out before your destination. It will put also alert you if you are getting too far from known charging location and very low on charge. Then
if all that fails electrical outlets are rather common in the developed world.

@MrTuna said you could use an inverter off the "cigarette lighter" port and implied lower output than a regular wall outlet. That might work or it might trip the breaker that outlet is set up for low draw if it works you would have to dial amperage down.
You would be better off with a large inverter that connects directly to a 12volt and an ICE would probably power that better than an EV since their 12volt handles heavy loads better and modern alternators are pretty high output.

The Cybertruck is supposed to have outlets to power tools, those would work to charge another EV.

Last edited: