Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, less than 200 miles on my Model 3 Performance, and yesterday when showing my wife how to charge it with a UMC, I get the red charging port Tesla symbol indicating that charging is disabled. The screen has three notices: (1) unable to charge; (2) charging disabled; (3) never use charge port lever to insert cable.

Took it to the service center before they closed last night (we live close by), and they disconnected the 12 volt battery to do a “hard” reset. Great tech, “Joe,” says this is the 3rd car he has seen in the past few days with this error. After disconnecting 12 volt and rebooting the errors were not present.

Charged the vehicle last night on a scheduled charge, with a 60% setting. Car only charged to 58%, which seemed odd. Took the car to Wholefoods just now and charged a little over an hour. Touched the screen’s radio button for “Stop Charging,” and instantly received the same three error messages, with the charging adapter now locked in the charging port. I was able to remove the Volta charging cable and hang it
up on its rack, but my connector is locked in my charging port.

Attached are photos of the error
messages. I’m going to the Service Center immediately to request a better fix than simply disconnecting and reconnecting the 12 volt battery.

Btw, I love Tesla and support them 1,000%. Please do not interpret my post as anything other than informing my community about how to resolve a serious issue. No charge = no go!! But I know that Tesla will resolve it!!

I’ll post more information after getting back from the North Scottsdale Service Center.
0D5881D0-6E06-4C59-8518-07D0ED10DF55.jpeg
ACA7E83D-6A17-46D0-B414-30DDB8A6A338.jpeg
226715C2-65EE-4262-A7C6-C4C873B595B1.jpeg
C281AEE4-CD28-4C6B-A5DB-ED695BD2864B.jpeg
ACA7E83D-6A17-46D0-B414-30DDB8A6A338.jpeg

I think you have two separate issues. When using a J1772 and the adapter you need to remove the adapter from the car FIRST as without the pilot signal the adapter will locked in the car. You may need to go back to a J1772 to remove or dig for the emergency release in the trunk.

The charging is not precise so 58% vs 60% is within range.

Finally I think you want to charge to 80% not 60 normally to give the batteries a chance to balance.

Thanks for reporting!

FYI, there is a small handle (think zipper handle) behind the charge port door in the trunk. If you pull that you can remove the J1772 adapter manually.

Thank you for the suggestion. The little cable in the trunk behind the charge port did not release the adapter, but the service tech at the Service Center was able to release using the radio button on the
screen. They are attempting to clear the errors now. Will report more info when available.

I think you have two separate issues. When using a J1772 and the adapter you need to remove the adapter from the car FIRST as without the pilot signal the adapter will locked in the car. You may need to go back to a J1772 to remove or dig for the emergency release in the trunk.

The charging is not precise so 58% vs 60% is within range.

Finally I think you want to charge to 80% not 60 normally to give the batteries a chance to balance.

Thank you. At Service Center now.

Jaywlker, my Model 3 experienced the same thing you described, down to the exact error messages.

It even occurred outside Wholefoods just like you as well. Is it the Wholefoods in The District in Tustin?

I had to drive home with the J1772 adapter connected to the port and the charge port door open.

Now my car cannot be charged due to software lock-out, and the Unlock Charge Port on the phone or on the car's screen does not work.

I better take it down to the Tesla Service Center on Monday morning, otherwise I cannot use the car throughout the holidays.

Jaywlker, my Model 3 experienced the same thing you described, down to the exact error messages.

It even occurred outside Wholefoods just like you as well. Is it the Wholefoods in The District in Tustin?

I had to drive home with the J1772 adapter connected to the port and the charge port door open.

Now my car cannot be charged due to software lock-out, and the Unlock Charge Port on the phone or on the car's screen does not work.

I better take it down to the Tesla Service Center on Monday morning, otherwise I cannot use the car throughout the holidays.

I took it to the service center, and they showed me how to unlock the adapter from
the charging port using a radio button to unlock it from the screen in the car. They are keeping the car until they can work on it Wesnesday. They intend to replace some parts, including possibly the charge port.

We were at the Wholefoods in Scottsdale, charging using the Volta charging unit with our adapter. The North Scottssale service center is closed Monday amd Tuesday. Which sucks bad. But they promised to work on it first thing Wednesday.

So strange to have such a similar occurrence. My M3 Perdormance was
just delivered on the 18th, and I updated the software Thursday the 20th, and then had the error the first time on Friday the 21st and then again today. The errors did go away on Friday after the tech disconnected the 12 volt and then reconnected it, only to return today after charging for an hour on the Volta unit.

The technician used the “unlock” radio button from the screen, and not the “close” charge port radio button. I think they are different.

The unlock button is on the right side of the screen, at the rear corner of the drawing of the car on the screen, where the chart port is located. I used that, but it remained in the locked state.

I called the roadside emergency service, and they explained to me that the lock out is due to the car software thinking that the charging connector has been tempered with, so it goes into this lock down mode.

They then told me to plug in a j1772 charging cable, let the car turn off, and just leave it overnight so it'll reset itself. In my care, the car reset everything within an hour.

Reactions: Jaywlker
The unlock button is on the right side of the screen, at the rear corner of the drawing of the car on the screen, where the chart port is located. I used that, but it remained in the locked state.

I called the roadside emergency service, and they explained to me that the lock out is due to the car software thinking that the charging connector has been tempered with, so it goes into this lock down mode.

They then told me to plug in a j1772 charging cable, let the car turn off, and just leave it overnight so it'll reset itself. In my care, the car reset everything within an hour.

I hope that solves the issue for you. I had the same set of errors in two days, and the car is now at the service center until at least Wednesday. I have a Mercedes loaner, but I can’t get referrals out of friends and family withouy test driving the M3!! The Mercedes has more buttons and controls than a fighter jet, but even with all the bling it is so YESTERDAY. And it stinks like smokers, hookers, and crack. I miss the new M3 smell. I’m a little bummed out.

• Funny
Reactions: 2012MS85
I had this exact issue on my several hundred mile road trip up north, except with a Tesla supercharger.

Called service and they said to walk away from the car and let it go to sleep, without pinging it through the app, or leaving the BT too close.

After 4-15 minutes thee car went to sleep, and when I woke up the errors were gone.

• Informative
I took it to the service center, and they showed me how to unlock the adapter from
the charging port using a radio button to unlock it from the screen in the car.

The technician used the “unlock” radio button from the screen, and not the “close” charge port radio button. I think they are different.

Just an FYI, but I don't think anyone would refer to those as "radio" buttons. With radio buttons, there's a list of options displayed and you can only choose one option.

You can just say Unlock button or Close button. When you mention "radio" people might think you are referring to the actual radio in the car.

Good luck with your Model 3 repair.

Reactions: mongo and Jaywlker
Just an FYI, but I don't think anyone would refer to those as "radio" buttons. With radio buttons, there's a list of options displayed and you can only choose one option.

You can just say Unlock button or Close button. When you mention "radio" people might think you are referring to the actual radio in the car.

Good luck with your Model 3 repair.
Thank you, MorisonHiker.

I have the same three fault warnings reoccurring on my 2015 P90DL - the warnings are completely isolated from any charging activity - they just pop-up when I driving. A full reset gets rid of them, but they return. I'm off to SC this am - will report any news, possibly it's a software bug affecting a few different models.

I have the same three fault warnings reoccurring on my 2015 P90DL - the warnings are completely isolated from any charging activity - they just pop-up when I driving. A full reset gets rid of them, but they return. I'm off to SC this am - will report any news, possibly it's a software bug affecting a few different models.

The SC replaced my M3’s charge port yesterday. The error messages have not returned.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had the same issue today " unable to charge message with a red indicator by the charge port" used the emergency release cable inside the trunk to remove the charge plug and error messages went away. Plugged it in after and all is back to normal.

My release cable would not retract, and the error persisted. Replacing the entire charge port has apparently fixed the issue, as we haven’t seen the error messages since it was replaced two days ago.

I had the same problem after a supercharger cable would not release from my Model 3. I pulled the manual release to get it out, but then the three errors came up and would not clear out, even with multiple reboots, powering down, and driving for a while to allow for it to clear. I had to have the charge port replaced, too.

• Informative
I had the same problem after a supercharger cable would not release from my Model 3. I pulled the manual release to get it out, but then the three errors came up and would not clear out, even with multiple reboots, powering down, and driving for a while to allow for it to clear. I had to have the charge port replaced, too.

Thank you for sharing. It might help those that get that error in the future.