Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging does not avoid peak hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the car is set this way:
  • Charge to depart at 6:00am.
  • Peak hours start at 3:45pm every day, and avoid peak hours.
If I plug it in at 3:00pm, it starts charging. And then it continues charging after 3:45pm, instead of stopping and then restarting only when it needs to do so to finish by 6:00am.

If I plug it in after 3:45pm, it will only start charging when it needs to do so to finish by 6:00am.

State of charge and charging speed were such that it needs about 5-6 hours to finish by 6:00am, so it could start around midnight to 1:00am to finish by 6:00am.

Seems like this is a bug in the software.

If I have charging set for scheduled departure and have a peak hour start time set, when I plug the car in before the peak hour start time:
  • Sometimes, it will start charging, then stop charging at the peak hour start time, then restart charging in time for the schedule departure.
  • Sometimes, it will start charging, and continue charging through the peak hour start time, even though there is plenty of time between then and the schedule departure to stop and then restart many hours later.
It is not obvious why it behaves one way or the other. The second behavior increases the likelihood of unwanted charging during peak hours.