Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging error after yesterday's software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed a 'Charging error-no power' after I updated the recent software via Tesla app. I have checked all electrical connections and there is a power to the charger with a green indicator light, the port has a blue light when plugged in which means there is a power to the port. I have reset the circuit breaker, and reset the vehicle with two scroll buttons on steering vehicle. I have also even changed the wall connector cable to 12V portable charger. The error remains the same. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Your shared opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Just noticed a 'Charging error-no power' after I updated the recent software via Tesla app. I have checked all electrical connections and there is a power to the charger with a green indicator light, the port has a blue light when plugged in which means there is a power to the port. I have reset the circuit breaker, and reset the vehicle with two scroll buttons on steering vehicle. I have also even changed the wall connector cable to 12V portable charger. The error remains the same. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Your shared opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Have you tried another location? Supercharger? Other L2?

Upvote 0
If the charger connection to breaker box is at fault, then why do I have green indicator light on the charger and blue light at the port of the vehicle. I don't think that is a problem.
We have had a similar issue with ours. It would not shift to the high current charging but passed the test to light the lights. They had to retorque the connections on the charger and at the panel. You can also try to reduce the current way down and see if works at lower values. And which charger are you using and how is connected (wall outlet @ 120, hardwired @ 240, etc.)

And as @ewoodrick suggested, try a Supercharger, or if you have a Tesla owner friend with home charging try their charger.

Upvote 0
Thanks for suggestions. Today I tried the supercharger and it still won't charge. Yesterday Tesla Advisor (TA) said that the onboard charger has to be replaced costing $3100. Today TA said that if it is not charging with supercharger, then the problem is the connectors inside the vehicle and it will cost $1500. I don't know if that's the problem first of all and then why the connectors should cost that much. It could be the port problem with loose connections inside the X. I don't know if Tesla should be trusted any more. They charge arm and leg for just petty stuff. BTW, my X is a 2018.

Upvote 0
Thanks for suggestions. Today I tried the supercharger and it still won't charge. Yesterday Tesla Advisor (TA) said that the onboard charger has to be replaced costing $3100. Today TA said that if it is not charging with supercharger, then the problem is the connectors inside the vehicle and it will cost $1500. I don't know if that's the problem first of all and then why the connectors should cost that much. It could be the port problem with loose connections inside the X. I don't know if Tesla should be trusted any more. They charge arm and leg for just petty stuff. BTW, my X is a 2018.
You aren't dealing with some simple connectors and fuses. You are dealing with fuses built to handle multiple times what your entire house breaker is. Tese are at high voltage and relatively dangerous and expensive.

Upvote 0
Ok. I watched the Ytube video where they talk about two Contactor fuses F521 or so. But I am not sure if there are really any fuses for the 12V contactors which I can check before Tesla rips me off. I had the 12V battery replaced last month. Could this charging problem be due to that somehow? I have only 11K miles on the X. It is hard for me to understand why the contactor or the connector or the onoboard charger will fail at 11K miles. I am out of warranty of 4 yrs but Tesla should cover the all the battery related problems up to 8 yrs. Pls share your opinions.

Upvote 0