Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging failure, sorting through options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S with the (at the time was) standard mobile charger provided with the car, connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I think it used to charge at 40A, though maybe that was reduced to 32A somewhere along the way by software.

The car did not charge last night. Charge port is red. Double red blinking on the mobile charger. Car says something like "Charging fault detected." Did all the usual stuff like unplug, replug, hit the reset button the mobile charger, etc.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I assume that the mobile charger is shot. Any other theories or reasons why I shouldn't just buy a new one? That seems a lot faster than waiting for some service diagnostic if it's 90% likely the right answer.

2. Parts have changed, and the my mobile charger does not appear to still be available. Options appear to be the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle plus a NEMA 14-50 Adapter OR the Corded Mobile Connector. In looking at this, I don't really understand why the Corded Mobile Connector exists, given that it is more expensive and less flexible than the Gen 2 Bundle. But am I missing something?

Any help appreciated!

In looking at this, I don't really understand why the Corded Mobile Connector exists, given that it is more expensive and less flexible than the Gen 2 Bundle. But am I missing something?
Yes--power level difference. The corded mobile connector is still the 1st generation mobile connector. It can pass 40 amps. When Tesla redesigned them to make the 2nd generation mobile connector, they reduced its capability, and it can only pass 32A maximum. That is what they started including when they began shipping the Model 3 in 2017, and within several months, like early 2018, they had switched over all cars to including that 2nd generation one.

Thanks for the replies...I purchased the Gen 2 mobile connector with the NEMA 14-50 adapter. I get 32A instead of 40A but that doesn't really affect me. I gambled that the issue was with the mobile connector, not the onboard charger...gamble appears to have paid off. I figured worst case it wouldn't be bad to have a backup mobile connector since it's 5.5 years old.