Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife's treasured '14 Model S would not charge when connected at home. When connected, the port showed red and the screen stated "charging equipment fault". Wife called Tesla hot line which walked her thru a full reboot. No change.

We planned to test charging at local super charger but I decided to check power at the wall outlet first.

We have normal 220v at the wall outlet. Before I unplugged I noted a red light on the box in the cable! When I plugged the cable back into the wall the light glowed green. Plugged the cable into the car and all was normal.

So, if you have a charging fault, check the cable for a red light. If red, do an unplug, replug to 'reset' the cable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Wife's treasured '14 Model S would not charge when connected at home. When connected, the port showed red and the screen stated "charging equipment fault". Wife called Tesla hot line which walked her thru a full reboot. No change.

We planned to test charging at local super charger but I decided to check power at the wall outlet first.

We have normal 220v at the wall outlet. Before I unplugged I noted a red light on the box in the cable! When I plugged the cable back into the wall the light glowed green. Plugged the cable into the car and all was normal.

So, if you have a charging fault, check the cable for a red light. If red, do an unplug, replug to 'reset' the cable.

Thank you for the tip. If it happens again, you might want to have your power or MC / WC checked.