Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging fault at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never had any previous issues with charging my July 2020 build LR model Y, but last night I stopped at a supercharger and got the red charger fault with a message that this was an equipment fault. The onscreen solution was to try a different charger. I tried three different superchargers at the station and continually had a charging fault.

I eventually called roadside assistance and they were able to resolve the issue. They told me to insert the charging cable and wait for it to show a fault - glow red. Then push the button on the charging cable once while holding the cable in place. Normal charging resumed with no other issues. Normal charging when I made it home last night. The person I was talking to said that this is a known firmware issue and that it should be resolved with the next software update. Just posting here since I haven't been able to find any other posts on this issue (could easily have missed them).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2020 S and tried to charge at a Supercharger a few weeks ago. The charge started. We then went to lunch but when I checked the app, the charge had stopped. Going back to the car and removing the cable to restart the charge failed. I tried another of the 6 chargers with no different outcome. Finally, a third charger worked. I called service who told me there were no faults in the car and they had no complaints about the supercharger array, despite a local owner telling me that they had issues with charger 1A and reported it.
Ultimately, this event cast a pale upon our plans of long range travel with the S, charging being somewhat unreliable.
If EVs are the future, then the charging system must be routinely checked and be reliable.

The last two times I have charged my Model Y at home, the charging stopped without completing. I should have noted the error message, but it had something to do with "overheating" if I am remembering correctly. Watching while I tried to get it started, the current ramped up to 32 amps at 220 volts, but then reset down to 8 amps. In both cases, I waited a few hours, and then resumed the charge, and it completed. I am now wondering if it is in any way related to the problems people have described at the superchargers. I am running software version 2020.48.10.

I have a 2020 S and tried to charge at a Supercharger a few weeks ago. The charge started. We then went to lunch but when I checked the app, the charge had stopped. Going back to the car and removing the cable to restart the charge failed. I tried another of the 6 chargers with no different outcome. Finally, a third charger worked. I called service who told me there were no faults in the car and they had no complaints about the supercharger array, despite a local owner telling me that they had issues with charger 1A and reported it.
Ultimately, this event cast a pale upon our plans of long range travel with the S, charging being somewhat unreliable.
If EVs are the future, then the charging system must be routinely checked and be reliable.
Wow, that's extreme. I've been taking long distance trips since 4/25/2018. No problems using Superchargers. This "firmware issue" is new to me. Thanks for posting this. I believe in Tesla, the Superchargers and the adventure of getting out on the road. Make it happen.

The last two times I have charged my Model Y at home, the charging stopped without completing. I should have noted the error message, but it had something to do with "overheating" if I am remembering correctly. Watching while I tried to get it started, the current ramped up to 32 amps at 220 volts, but then reset down to 8 amps. In both cases, I waited a few hours, and then resumed the charge, and it completed. I am now wondering if it is in any way related to the problems people have described at the superchargers. I am running software version 2020.48.10.
There's a good chance this is related to the install of your charger. If there is too much resistance it will cause overheating issues but show up as a problem with the car. There's a thread around here somewhere about it. Basically, it was typically caused by the electrician crimping some insulation along with the wires. Other possibility was wiring gauge too small (too narrow) to handle 32A current over the distance of your install. Look at both ends of the wiring run.

I had the same thing happen, and it turns out the cooling system in my Model Y was failing.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Actually, my issue was with a Tesla supercharger not my garage installed charger. That works fine. To continue my comments: at a recent trip, out hotel had a 1772 and a Tesla charger. The Tesla didn’t work. They were a bit nonchalant about it to my surprise. Perhaps there should be a proactive supervision of the Tesla chargers to assure workability, rather than rely on the hotel clerks to manage issues.

I forget where in the menu it is located but I know you can delve down into it to find a record of any fault the vehicle has experienced. I think it may be located under the Service submenu.

There's a good chance this is related to the install of your charger. If there is too much resistance it will cause overheating issues but show up as a problem with the car. There's a thread around here somewhere about it. Basically, it was typically caused by the electrician crimping some insulation along with the wires. Other possibility was wiring gauge too small (too narrow) to handle 32A current over the distance of your install. Look at both ends of the wiring run.
Thank you for the input. I have had the car since June 20 of this year, and I never had a problem until recently. Not sure what could have changed with the wall outlet, but I have noted your comment.

I had the same problem - the firmware in the charger needed to be updated. When I installed the charger I had not connected it to my home network. Support emailed me the instructions to connect it - once connected within an hour it updated and things went back to normal. Hope this helps.

also, when I charge at home? I rarely need the car charged as fast as the default 32A provides. I typically charge at about 22amps by reducing the amps in the charging options area on the cars screen. Car still is fully charged in the morning and also the connector on my wall is a LOT cooler during the charging process. I guessing the less the heat the better it is long term for the connector, wiring, etc..

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. I have had the car since June 20 of this year, and I never had a problem until recently. Not sure what could have changed with the wall outlet, but I have noted your comment.
It wasn't something that was showing up immediately after installing. It took a few months to a year before most people reported a problem. I'm going off my memory here so I could be off. IIRC it started in a thread about a 14-50 outlet catching fire. I filed it away in my head as "if I ever see an overheat warning and charging speeds reduced, check the wiring."

On a recent round trip, there was a specific SC station where there would be a fault when connecting. After retrying charging would start, but had weird charge behavior. It would ramp up to 30-40kW, then go back to 0, and then cycle back and forth, indefinitely.

It was a huge pain. 20 min charge ended up taking 2+ hours. All other cars at the station seemed to charge at a normal rate, and my car charged fine at other SC's.

Has this happened to anyone else?

On a recent round trip,

I have not experienced this exact problem but nevertheless I have experienced a few Supercharging problems over the years. Whenever I experience a Supercharging anomaly I always move to a different stall. I understand this could be difficult at a crowded Supercharger location but that is what I would do even if it meant re-entering a waiting line. I almost forgot to add that I call the Tesla Service phone number listed on the stall hardware and report the issue because Tesla can only fix it if they know about it.
TIP #1: Put the Tesla Service phone number in your phone contacts list. 877 798-3752
TIP #2: Record the date, time, location and Stall Number.
TIP #3: Since there can be long wait times, make the call when it is convenient for you.

Last edited: