Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging for charging for 2013 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased at 2013 S which, allegedly, comes with life-time free charging. Yesterday, I charged it and was billed (only $1.50) but free should be free. Wondering if anybody else has has a similar problem and how it was resolved.

My guess is that you bought it from a used car dealership that doesn't know what they're selling and makes all sorts of claims and promises.

I've seen this numerous times local to me and I've contacted every dealership to let them know that the car they're selling most likely does not include free supercharging and they basically have done nothing about it.

There's going to be an awful lot of upset customers out there but ultimately you need to take it up with whomever you bought the vehicle from because they're the ones responsible for backing up the claims they made to you prior to the sale being finalized.

Were you billed for supercharging or for idle fees? Idle fees are incurred if the supercharger station is more than half full and you don’t unplug your car after it finishes charging (you get a 5 minute grace period). Free supercharging doesn’t exempt you from idle fees. You should have received a notification from the mobile app about idle fees if that’s what it was.

Were you billed for supercharging or for idle fees? Idle fees are incurred if the supercharger station is more than half full and you don’t unplug your car after it finishes charging (you get a 5 minute grace period). Free supercharging doesn’t exempt you from idle fees. You should have received a notification from the mobile app about idle fees if that’s what it was.
Thanks, I think that's what happened, although I did not receive a notification; just saw it added on to my credit cad account.

Thanks, I think that's what happened, although I did not receive a notification; just saw it added on to my credit cad account.
You should have received the notification from the mobile app when supercharging was almost completed, warning you about possible idle fees if you didn't move the car when it was done. If your phone was somewhere without cell coverage you could have missed the notification. Did you receive other notifications related to that supercharging session (charging started, for example)?

If you were charged fee of any type, then this suggests to me that the car is already added to your Tesla account. If that's the case you should be able to easily confirm by logging into your account on Tesla's site. If you click on Manage and then under the VIN click on the link that says Details. It will pull up a screen that lists the configuration for your car. Here's a screenshot of what it shows for my mid-2016 Model S. You'll see listed both at the bottom under specs column on the left and entry for free unlimited supercharging.

I also suspect you were charged an idle fee, not actually for supercharging.

listed.
1625219158125.png

You should have received the notification from the mobile app when supercharging was almost completed, warning you about possible idle fees if you didn't move the car when it was done.
I have never once gotten that notification for being almost done or done while at a SC the only one I get is the "busy station we reset you down to 80% readjust if you want to" which is basically every damn time I plug in these days. It's a glitch in the matrix and I have tried all sorts of stuff and it never works so I just check my app every so often. But in 3 years I've gotten used to how long it takes so I don't check it much anymore.

For me. I've noticed that the charging is almost complete notification seems to come and go depending on the software version of the car. Currently, I am not getting that notification. In the past, I use to get that notification.

One way to see if your car has free supercharging is to pull up the charging screen. On the bottom right corner of the screen there should be a section called Previous Supercharging (or something like that, I don't remember the exact wording). In that section, if it says no previous supercharging (or something like that, again I don't remember the exact wording), then the car has free supercharging. If you do not have free supercharging, that section would list your previous supercharging activity along with cost.