Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in High Temperature environments 13A vs 32A vs 70A: cost of air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I drive the car in 12 hours and it takes 12 hours to charge with the 110v 13amp and 3 hours with 240v set up are you calculating energy use over 12 hours for both or over 12 hours for the 110 volt plug and 3 hours for the 240 volt. This would make the efficiency of the 240 volt look much better as the car burns energy even when it is not charging. You need to remove energy used by the computer from the equation to figure the efficiency of charging.

All testing was done around 220V, at different current limits - no 110V here.

The testing we did using vehicle log file analysis was purely based on energy used during charging,

The testing in the table you quoted was meant to simulate real world conditions (what if I only charged at xAmps every day), so was based on kilometers driven (or trip kWh) vs kWh put into the pack (based on similar driving conditions). This approach closely matched the original question the tests were supposed to answer.

The results from both types of tests were very similar. From my understanding of the roadster, it is very simple - wall power is only ever used for charging the pack and never used to run the car systems.

I don't really understand your question/statement. Yes, the computer (and hvac, pumps, etc) will be running for longer at a low amperage charge, compared to one at high amperage, but that is exactly what we were trying to test - the real world efficiency of charging a roadster at different current limits. So, I guess the answer to your question is that we measured over the several weeks for each case.