Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Phoenix Az Heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My backyard thermometer shows almost 120° F and my level 2 charger just stopped charging. I had it set to charge at 32A which it did for awhile and then it dropped to 16A and then just stopped charging. I have unplugged for now and will restart later tonight or in the morning when temperatures are cooler which I assume will help.

Attachments

• 71115442926__B810D573-9875-4E7D-AD3A-11EA589C1031.jpeg
    71115442926__B810D573-9875-4E7D-AD3A-11EA589C1031.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9900.png
    IMG_9900.png
    341.8 KB · Views: 43
Assuming the car is in the sun I could easily see a scenario where the temperature sensor in the charging handle or plug head (assuming UMC) thinks things are getting too hot due to a fault and then back off current / stop charging entirely.

That said it’s “only” 106 here in interior California and my Model S just finished charging in the sun at 32 amps on a wall connector with no issue.

Reactions: Oparide
Assuming the car is in the sun I could easily see a scenario where the temperature sensor in the charging handle or plug head (assuming UMC) thinks things are getting too hot due to a fault and then back off current / stop charging entirely.

That said it’s “only” 106 here in interior California and my Model S just finished charging in the sun at 32 amps on a wall connector with no issue.
I park in the shade yes.

Since the sun shines onto the roof of the Tesla vehicle while parked, while driving and while Supercharging what would be the benefit of the comforter? An interior sunshade would help reduce the intensity of the sun's rays on the passengers and the vehicle interior all of the time not just while Supercharging.

Since the sun shines onto the roof of the Tesla vehicle while parked, while driving and while Supercharging what would be the benefit of the comforter? An interior sunshade would help reduce the intensity of the sun's rays on the passengers and the vehicle interior all of the time not just while Supercharging.
This is just a theory:

The roof is deeply tinted, which means it absorbs a lot of the sinun’s energy. When parked for awhile on a hot day, it can become too hot too touch!

When driving, the roof is cooled by air flowing over it (even 110F air has a cooling effect on a burning hot roof).

Now add in the SCing… if you want to be in the car while it’s parked, then the AC is working extra hard while also trying to manage the battery temp.

Hence the white comforter to stop the roof (and windshield) from absorbing any of the sun’s energy at all while SCing.