Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My old MX charges better than my old body

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, I mean my old body does not seem to "charge" as fast in the morning anymore when I get up. BUT, to my surprise, our early 2017 MX still does quite good at superchargers.
There was a time early on when Telsa limited the charging rate to 120 kW, then later on allowed it to charge to 150 kW.

On our last trip to San Diego this month, I saw a couple locations where the peak charging rate was well over 150 kW and in one case reached 202 kW. That was a surprise. Of course, that was for only a few minutes when the state of charge was at about 20% and yes, it started to drop slowly over time as expected. As a result, we stopped at more chargers along the route. when the rate dropped below 80 kW (about 80 % and 220 miles of range for that car). Over the 550-mile trip, it was actually less travel time and I got to stretch more often. Probably no Suprise to some folks here.

I suspect there might be people that have seen rates even higher than ours on the legacy cars. I just hope it keeps doing that for our car and yours.

And just to be mean, it's so much fun to watch my 2018 Model 3 charge at over 1000 mph and 250+kw.

Not to say anything about our batteries, Tesla just changed he hardware to allow it.
Yup, we see similar rate on the new MY. Pretty exciting on a short trip. And yes, agree, Tesla changes the software to allow it. Just glad to see the old MX go higher. Wish I could change my body with a software update.

Yea, I mean my old body does not seem to "charge" as fast in the morning anymore when I get up. BUT, to my surprise, our early 2017 MX still does quite good at superchargers.
There was a time early on when Telsa limited the charging rate to 120 kW, then later on allowed it to charge to 150 kW.

On our last trip to San Diego this month, I saw a couple locations where the peak charging rate was well over 150 kW and in one case reached 202 kW. That was a surprise. Of course, that was for only a few minutes when the state of charge was at about 20% and yes, it started to drop slowly over time as expected. As a result, we stopped at more chargers along the route. when the rate dropped below 80 kW (about 80 % and 220 miles of range for that car). Over the 550-mile trip, it was actually less travel time and I got to stretch more often. Probably no Suprise to some folks here.

I suspect there might be people that have seen rates even higher than ours on the legacy cars. I just hope it keeps doing that for our car and yours.
Silicon,
I assume you have a 100D? Wondering how long it takes to charge the 220 miles you mentioned on a high output Super Charger? Is the charge you describe at a SOC from 20% to 80%? Seems off somewhow :)
Thanks
Gerry

Silicon,
I assume you have a 100D? Wondering how long it takes to charge the 220 miles you mentioned on a high output Super Charger? Is the charge you describe at a SOC from 20% to 80%? Seems off somewhow :)
Thanks
Gerry
Yes it is a 100D. Typically on a long trip, if I were to charge from 20% to 80%, it would take about an hour, but I don't often do that. I'll charge to about 60% and get back on the road.

I have a 2017 MX and usually see 140 kW peak power when SoC is ~20%. It holds itself between 130 - 140 kW until about ~40% SoC when it begins to taper off.

At 50% SoC the power input is usually around 95 - 100 kW.

It tapers off steeply after this and at 80% SoC I usually get around 40 - 45 kW power input.

I DC fast charge my car only on road trips, almost exclusively on Tesla SCs (mostly V3s). V2s are almost the same except the starting peak is 125 kW instead.

From 20% SoC to 80% SoC it usually takes 40 - 45 minutes. This is in warm ambient temperature (85 F), excluding SC stall sharing. I always navigate to SC. Tange added from 20% to 80% is ~145 miles.

I have a 2017 MX and usually see 140 kW peak power when SoC is ~20%. It holds itself between 130 - 140 kW until about ~40% SoC when it begins to taper off.

At 50% SoC the power input is usually around 95 - 100 kW.

It tapers off steeply after this and at 80% SoC I usually get around 40 - 45 kW power input.

I DC fast charge my car only on road trips, almost exclusively on Tesla SCs (mostly V3s). V2s are almost the same except the starting peak is 125 kW instead.

From 20% SoC to 80% SoC it usually takes 40 - 45 minutes. This is in warm ambient temperature (85 F), excluding SC stall sharing. I always navigate to SC. Tange added from 20% to 80% is ~145 miles.
Thanks, EV!
You describe the relevant parameters well. I don't have matching data for my 2023 M3 RWD. The charge rates sound similar, but somehow I feel the charging time is almost half: 20-80% SOC in maybe 25 minutes?

I guess that's where the total range and kW/mi needs to be factored in. So to simplify it, we could just consider miles gained from 20-80% and leave consumption out of the picture, since the guessomter in theory takes takes care of that.

My range is about 260 mi (rated 272 when new), so my 20-80% would be 206 mi in ~25 minutes.

Can't guess at your range, since it's model dependent, but I can see that your range may be similar with a 100D.

So maybe charge rates are similar, but miles gained are much less because of consumption diffeence bwwteeen the X and 3. ?

The charge rates sound similar, but somehow I feel the charging time is almost half: 20-80% SOC in maybe 25 minutes?

I do agree that legacy S/X DC fast charging rate for 20 - 80% is noticeably slower than that of what the newer cars (S/X refresh). Hard for me to put a number to it.
I guess that's where the total range and kW/mi needs to be factored in. So to simplify it, we could just consider miles gained from 20-80% and leave consumption out of the picture, since the guessomter in theory takes takes care of that.

I think the perspective of owning the vehicle and every car's efficiency has to be taken into account when making the comparison. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison between a MX and M3 for instance. Both are different segment cars, with no-matching aerodynamics, weights, payload capacities, battery sizes etc.
My range is about 260 mi (rated 272 when new), so my 20-80% would be 206 mi in ~25 minutes.

I think the best way to look at it for a suitable comparison is to consider how much 'effective energy' has been put in the car's battery. By effective energy I mean the actual kWs of electrons added to the battery which translate to the number of driving miles gained (depending on the non-variable factors such as car's aerodynamic efficency, empty weight, wheel size, tyre profile) and variable factors such as battery capacity and degredation, driving style, external conditions (weather, traffic conditions, speed, acceleration, number of passengers and payload) etc.

E.g. for my MX the 20 - 80% charge adds approx. 52 kWh of energy in the battery. That gives it a rated range of ~145 miles since the car usually averages about 360 Wh/mi (normal driving conditions i.e. relatively flat road, no strong headwind, 22" wheels, normal driving style and climate control on).

I would assume that your 2023 M3 RWD would be able to input more 'effective energy' in the car's battery due to it's better charging performance as well as favourable non-variable factors. This would, in turn would show a greater number of 'miles added' to the battery as well since M3 RWD is a far more efficent car than a legacy MX.

The miles of range shown in the car's instrument panel is merely a representation of the average of the non-variable factors and variable factors over the course of a time period. Essentially the car is trying to make an educated guess on how many miles the car would go typically with the amount of kWh added to the battery back based on historical average data.

Can't guess at your range, since it's model dependent, but I can see that your range may be similar with a 100D.

Mine is a P100DL, which has a range typically about 10% lower than that of a 100D.

So maybe charge rates are similar, but miles gained are much less because of consumption diffeence bwwteeen the X and 3. ?

I think the average charge rate to input the same amount of kWh, for a certain range of kWh into the battery would be faster for a M3 RWD. For example, M3 RWD comes with a 57 kWh useable battery capacity and assuming 0% degredation (just for maths), a SC session (V3, no stall sharing, battery pre-conditioned, 85F temperature) 20 - 80% charging would add about 35 kWh (from 11 kWh at 20% to 46 kWh at 80%).

This would definitely be faster than the 35 kWh added during the 20 - 80% charging of the MX's SC session (V3, no stall sharing, battery pre-conditioned, 85F temperature). However, these 35 kWh will only take the MX's battery to about 55% SoC (assuming 0% degredation for maths and a 97 kWh useable battery capacity).

So, the legacy MX would not only be slower to add the same amount of electrons in kWh terms due to older and slower charging technology, but also it will take longer to charge from it's own 20 - 80% SoC since the battery size is larger. To top it off, it will also show less 'miles added' because it is a bigger, less efficent car than a M3.

The perspective of owning the vehicle and the owner's vehicle use case eventually matters a lot when considering charge rates, miles of range etc.

Reactions: Arctic_White