Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Richmond, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the DC charger at SuperStore on no.3 road free to use?

Also, what is the charging speed of that compared to other Level 2 chargers around the area?

Deciding whether I should buy the ChaDeMo adapter for $700
Are you planning on visiting soon? There’s a new Supercharger currently being built at Richmond Centre.
(Richmond BC, Canada Supercharger!)
28E349C2-F62F-4261-9308-39077A3C74FF.jpeg C2FCE9E6-4E52-45F8-B07D-868090E4D41A.png DDDC2C0B-F397-472D-8287-2A4C2B60F9EC.jpeg

Check out PlugShare for charging options in and around Richmond.
(PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You)

Reactions: fidodido
Is the DC charger at SuperStore on no.3 road free to use?

Also, what is the charging speed of that compared to other Level 2 chargers around the area?

Deciding whether I should buy the ChaDeMo adapter for $700
I believe the BC Hydro ChaDeMo chargers are all free for now and PlugShare also says it's free.

Charge rate is up to 50kW while most L2 stations are about 6kW so charge rate is quite a bit faster.

If you can charge at home, going somewhere like Superstore to charge for free isn't really worth it, unless you're shopping there anyhow, and even then saving $2-5 each time vs home charging will take forever to recover the cost of the ChaDeMo adapter.

The other thing to keep in mind is the stations at Superstore may see a lot of use, so unless you are there at off peak times you might not be able to charge. A friend did comment about a Superstore charger (I think it wasn't the Richmond one) being magic, because you park next to the in use charger and when you come out you find the other car is gone and your car has been plugged in.

You also might find the drivers of EVs with lower range (e.g. older Leafs) may be less than impressed with you charging a Tesla at those stations.

The main use case for the ChaDeMo adapter is if you're traveling somewhere that isn't serviced by the SuperCharger network. You may be able to use it for a bit of free fast charging but it's unlikely it will pay for itself that way before they start charging for the stations.

Thanks, you are correct and someone also educated me about the charge rate and cost on the other thread that it doesn't make sense financially to think it is "free" and waste time to use these chargers. It will take more than a year to get the adapter cost back with all the inconveniences.

My apartment complex doesn't have ev charging port. (I actually think there's not 1 tesla in my building....) so not sure how I can lobby the strata to install a port.

I guess I have to wait for the SuperCharger at Richmond Center....

The current SuperCharger locations is horrible.

Most superchargers are meant for travel but the Richmond one is most likely an urban supercharger so I may work well for you.

It sounds like some people have been able to work with stratas to install chargers, or get permission to use existing outlets for L1 charging so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

You could also ask your work if they'd consider installing chargers. There are a lot of ChargePoint stations near my work that are restricted to tenants of the business park next to my work. Home and work are places L2 charging makes most sense.