Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted by another Tesla owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would the person who arrived second be interfering with the connector that is plugged into someone else's vehicle? There is no reason for anyone to do this.

Like most sub groups in life, there is a minuscule fraction of self-important Tesla owners who don’t care about anyone else and who will game the system to their advantage, even at others’ expense. Stealing priority on a paired cabinet is one such example.

That said, given the lack of detail from @viper2ko (like: “I saw the a-hole do it”, which would have been in the first post if that actually happened) it is extremely unlikely that this charging anomaly was actually the result of some kind of nefarious action. Far more likely it was a power blip or electronics reset or something of that nature, and this thread is just the result of misplaced frustration.

In 5+ years and 125k+ miles of ownership, I’ve had ‘charging interrupted’ a handful of times. Most during unpaired sessions.

I am/was unaware of prioritization when charging. I understand about sharing.. 1A and 1B share amperage and so if I was charging at 1A and someone plugs into 1B it will slow down my charge.
However, what you're saying is that 1B guy is getting less amps because I was plugged into 1A first?

Correct, basically.

If you arrive first and plug into 1A you get pretty much everything cabinet 1 can give.
Another person arrives and pugs into 1B. They get a small amount of power.
As your charge rate reduces, they get more power.
But as far as I am aware, it doesn't do it smoothly.
I believe that the cabinet has multiple chargers, in groups of 3, and it can allocate each group to either stall of the pair. So, as charging drops about 30kW in the first stall, it re-allocates a group to the other stall.

The combination of prioritization and tapering contributes to busy Superchargers getting queues. Car 2 initially charges at a low rate, just when the state of charge would allow the fastest possible charging, so the time penalty is greatest.

Correct, basically.

If you arrive first and plug into 1A you get pretty much everything cabinet 1 can give.
Another person arrives and pugs into 1B. They get a small amount of power.
As your charge rate reduces, they get more power.
But as far as I am aware, it doesn't do it smoothly.
I believe that the cabinet has multiple chargers, in groups of 3, and it can allocate each group to either stall of the pair. So, as charging drops about 30kW in the first stall, it re-allocates a group to the other stall.

The combination of prioritization and tapering contributes to busy Superchargers getting queues. Car 2 initially charges at a low rate, just when the state of charge would allow the fastest possible charging, so the time penalty is greatest.

If i get there first. Then someone else comes next to me. Walks over to my car and hits the charge button. Then plugs there car in.