Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interrupted by another Tesla owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Was plugged into a supercharger at 5%. Went into a store and got a notification that charging was interrupted which has never happened. I come out and see a model 3 parked next to me plugged in. Did this asshole walk over and hit my charger release button so I would stop charging and he would get priority over the shared stalla

I guess we're going to have to start making sure Sentry Mode is turned on when SC'ing?

Not that we can do anything with the footage... but maybe if enough owners share and voice their concerns... Tesla will implement something? (I know... I won't hold my breath)

I simply cannot fathom feeling so entitled that I believe that my time is so much more valuable than any other person, therefore I have the right to interrupt someone's charging to benefit myself. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Chance are good that the second owner didn't know the Superchargers are paired, and would impact the speed of charging. Since we don't know if the Supercharger was busy and either the first or second owner could move to an empty unpaired space, we can only guess. It could be that the second owner simply did not know that clicking the button would interrupt the charge of another car. Its worth our own peace of mind and not worthy of the stress on our selves, to think of this as anything more than an accident or ignorance vice maliciousness. There's little value in getting upset over something like this. As we all gain more experience, EV etiquette will improve.

Chance are good that the second owner didn't know the Superchargers are paired, and would impact the speed of charging. Since we don't know if the Supercharger was busy and either the first or second owner could move to an empty unpaired space, we can only guess. It could be that the second owner simply did not know that clicking the button would interrupt the charge of another car. Its worth our own peace of mind and not worthy of the stress on our selves, to think of this as anything more than an accident or ignorance vice maliciousness. There's little value in getting upset over something like this. As we all gain more experience, EV etiquette will improve.

He definitely knew what he was doing. Thus it was wrong. And a dick move

Interesting! I had this happen to me recently, but the car started charging again right away, so I thought nothing of it.

Maybe malicious? Maybe just a software bug? I doubt there's any sort of critical mass of people out here that would even know to do this.

Reactions: Akikiki
Was plugged into a supercharger at 5%. Went into a store and got a notification that charging was interrupted which has never happened. I come out and see a model 3 parked next to me plugged in. Did this asshole walk over and hit my charger release button so I would stop charging and he would get priority over the shared stalla
That Model 3 owner is reducing the Lithium Plating risk level for your battery pack.

Reactions: Chaserr
"He" who? From whatI can see reported in the thread, nobody saw anybody do anything and we're attributing an un-witnessed technical event to malice. There are lots of non-malicious reasons why a charging session might be temporarily interrupted.

True.
If the charging rate is still high after the interruption then he still has priority charging.

Good strategy for payback to the scumbags that jump the line at Superchargers then walk away. Had a guy and his female friend do this to 2 of us in line at the San Clemente Supercharger. We pointed out his bad behavior and he said we snoozed so we're SOL. We both protested then he and his female friend told us both to F#CK OFF, flipped us off and went inside the mall. Next time I'll BET someone keeps pressing his charge button after he goes into the Outlet Mall, waits for him to come back and leaves again... then rinse & repeat. PAYBACK is a female dog. Would have worked great for the F#CKtard who jumped the line in Fountain Valley then jumped into his female friend's ICE car and sped away.

Sentry mode / cameras are useless with a hoodie. Ask anybody who's been robbed. Maybe Tesla owners should carry hoodies for these selfish sphincters too.

Good strategy for payback to the scumbags that jump the line at Superchargers then walk away. Had a guy and his female friend do this to 2 of us in line at the San Clemente Supercharger. We pointed out his bad behavior and he said we snoozed so we're SOL. We both protested then he and his female friend told us both to F#CK OFF, flipped us off and went inside the mall. Next time I'll BET someone keeps pressing his charge button after he goes into the Outlet Mall, waits for him to come back and leaves again... then rinse & repeat. PAYBACK is a female dog. Would have worked great for the F#CKtard who jumped the line in Fountain Valley then jumped into his female friend's ICE car and sped away.

Sentry mode / cameras are useless with a hoodie. Ask anybody who's been robbed. Maybe Tesla owners should carry hoodies for these selfish sphincters too.
Even without a hoodie, technically you’re touching Teslas equipment and not his car. I don’t see any legal issues here.

Also I’m surprised at how many people act like a**holes toward people they don’t know
I always say, be careful who you antagonize, you never know who you’re dealing with

Reactions: outdoors
He definitely knew what he was doing. Thus it was wrong. And a dick move

I’ve gotten the “Charging Interrupted” notification several times before without anyone touching anything. A SC that’s having some technical issues can cause that. Hell, I’ve even seen that come up when someone plugged in their car to the paired stall, without them touching anything on mine, with me there in person.

• Informative
Reactions: bxr140 and aesculus
I’ve gotten the “Charging Interrupted” notification several times before without anyone touching anything. A SC that’s having some technical issues can cause that. Hell, I’ve even seen that come up when someone plugged in their car to the paired stall, without them touching anything on mine, with me there in person.

FWIW, if our Model 3 is charging and I plug in our Model X I get a notification that charging has been interrupted on the Model 3. I have not noticed the reverse happening.

Coincidence.
Related: a temporary power blip might have occurred as a result of the additional power drawn when somebody else plugged in next to you.
Malicious.

Were they actually part of the same pair?
If so you could simply have checked your charging rates and if reduced you could have done the same to them to restore your charging rate to max.

Also, were you parked centered in your space or in a way that could have provoked irritation to people parking next to you?

Last edited:
I am/was unaware of prioritization when charging. I understand about sharing.. 1A and 1B share amperage and so if I was charging at 1A and someone plugs into 1B it will slow down my charge.
However, what you're saying is that 1B guy is getting less amps because I was plugged into 1A first?