Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging interruption every 10 mins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3p is having charging interruption intermittently. The charging will be intertuinte every 10 mins when charging. Anyone else have the same problem? I have 2 moblie chargers and 1 wired charger at home. All 3 of them are working perfectly on my model x but not on the model 3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180922-002424_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20180922-002424_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 292
I have 2 moblie chargers and 1 wired charger at home.
Keep in mind that those are not chargers. Those are EVSEs. For level 1 and 2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car.

Please see the diagram at Range issues - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum by planet4ever. Yes, it's for Leaf, but the principles are the same. Tesla wall connector and mobile connector (you'll notice that at Model 3, they're all called connectors) are J1772 behind the scenes.

If you use a DC fast charger like a Tesla Supercharger or CHAdeMO (doesn't work yet on 3), the external unit IS a charger, while the car's OBC is bypassed. From Home Charging Installation
Vehicle on-board charger
The on-board charger converts incoming alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) to store in the battery. The capacity of the on-board charger represent the maximum power input that the vehicle can accept from the Mobile Connector, Wall Connector or public charging stations. Superchargers and other DC fast charging stations do not use the on-board charger.

Hopefully it's not the issue I am having where my charging kept stopping and starting. It got worse and worse over a period of 2 weeks. I started getting error messages and it wouldn't unlock the charge port and then stopped driving. Ended up on a flatbed. Tesla replaced the 12v battery and high voltage controller. Fixed the problem for 2 weeks until yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hopefully it's not the issue I am having where my charging kept stopping and starting. It got worse and worse over a period of 2 weeks. I started getting error messages and it wouldn't unlock the charge port and then stopped driving. Ended up on a flatbed. Tesla replaced the 12v battery and high voltage controller. Fixed the problem for 2 weeks until yesterday.
Thanks for sharing. My car is currently in the service center as they are still investigating the cause of the problem.

What's up with the disagree?

Your post contained no information that will help the OP solve their problem.

We all knew what they meant.
They already own another Tesla.

There's a place for general EV education but this thread isn't it.

PS if somebody had come up with a much more friendly name than EVSE earlier it'd have been adopted.

Your post contained no information that will help the OP solve their problem.

We all knew what they meant.
They already own another Tesla.

There's a place for general EV education but this thread isn't it.

PS if somebody had come up with a much more friendly name than EVSE earlier it'd have been adopted.
This is a place for education because there are two different pieces of the system here EVSE vs. the on-board charger.

I don't know if the OP tried the mobile connector that came w/their 3, to troubleshoot. For instance, I recently learned of some compat problems w/older HPWCs with new Model S's the other day (not from this forum or any forum).

Here's a thread I found on it: Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S. I haven't dug around to see if the Model 3 also has compat problems w/older HPWCs and I don't know which the OP has.

See why it can be confusing if people use the wrong terminology?

I don't like EVSE nor its expansion (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) very much either, but we're unfortunately stuck with it. Using the wrong labels or names to refer to it isn't helpful.

Last edited:
Issue fixed. They ended up replacing the CP ECU and Charge Port.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I started getting charge interruptions since super charging yesterday at Fontana.

I switched stations and still had an issue had to reconnect n start charging every couple mins

Then at my J772 local charger next to my apt it disconnected twice.

Should I get it checked by Tesla?