Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging issue. 1/mi range per hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been having issues with my Tesla main screen not booting up. From reading it seems like a hard drive issue. It would still charge and drive however. Because of the issues I quit driving it and unfortunately left it unplugged (big mistake I know). Car went completely dead, even the 12v battery. Could unlock the doors or charge port. So i “jumped” it using the posts on the front bumper, unlocked the charge port and began charging it. Unfortunately it is only adding 1 mile of range per hour. Any idea what the issue is and is there any options to diagnose and fix?
2FF7F48D-6A22-478B-9762-3574F8AA3C4E.jpeg

But on a more serious note, if you 'jumped' it within 24 hours of the car going 'dead', you might just have to wait a bit for the current to start pouring into what, I assume, is a 0% state of charge. Maybe an hour would do it... and then it might ramp up to a few kW of charging power. If you aren't up to the full 40 A by dawn, you're going to have to get Tesla Service on it.

Charge is at 40 miles and has been charging about 35-40 hours. Really not sure how long it had been completely dead. Likely days or maybe even weeks.
40 miles? That is about 1-2%? I had never let my car drain to 0 but have heard situations where the first little bit charges very slowly, especially when cold. It does that to protect the battery.

Is your main screen still not booting up? Did you try to gold down the scroll wheels button to force a reset?

When is your car made? If it is pre March 2018, then you have MCU1 where the memory chip can fail and cause it to not boot. If that is the case you need to make an apt to get it fixed or even better, upgrades to MCU2.

Try charging it for another day to see what happens. Never drain it to 0 again.

I'm slowly getting up to speed here. This is a Model S. You're showing us the small screen. I have seen many inexplicable, wacky things that were caused by a low 12v battery. Your computer may be confused. Maybe you just need to adjust the charge rate--which you can't do without the main screen. Try every kind of reset you can think of. Turn the car off (but you need that main screen again). Maybe disconnect the 12V again if it's at all practical to do so.

By the way 40 miles isn't all that low, apparently.
LowBattSC.png

If your 12 volt battery was dead, that needs to be charged to 100% first. The main battery may have been at indicated zero but it was not discharged. There is a protection charge that you do not have access to. The 12 volt battery is charged from the main battery. That requires a current flow out of the main battery. It is impossible for current to flow into and out of a battery at the same time.

It now stops at 46 miles as says charging complete. I’ve disconnected the charger and tried to restart but it stops at 46.
It is still possible it is confused. The battery could be charged, and all reported numbers are goofy. No way I can think of to tell, though (other than the obvious :) ) Now that I think about it....your electric bill, or the meter, or how hot the cable gets if you charge at 30+ amps would be a clue. Anyway, I just had to say it in case that's how it turns out.
It is impossible for current to flow into and out of a battery at the same time.
Apparently, you've never met a mathematician or physicist :)

Yeah bad math...
This guys MCU is dead and he needs to head to the SC, probably consider a MCU2 upgrade. Like a new car for me.
Yea Tesla MCU is a single point of failure for many functions of the car. Personally I just swapped out my EMMC on mu MCU1 (Tesla now has a new Tegra board available from Tesla for $120+labor which includes a new emmc) - works great and much cheaper than MCU2 upgrade. I drive my wife's car from time to time, which has MCU2, and while it is faster for some things (browser most noticeable), I personally don't see the value for me in MCU2 upgrade - all the usual functions, such as menus and typical nav usage, on MCU1 are not noticeably faster on MCU2. Oh, I also don't care about games or netflix (for the price of MCU2 I could get a really nice tablet to play a lot more games on in the car).

Reactions: Akikiki