Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging making noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife claims she can hear a hum from the Tesla charger (we sleep over the garage) and it keeps her awake. I think it's a slight vibration through the exterior wall. When I move away from the wall in our bedroom I don't hear it as much (it's still there but nothing enough to keep me awake). She has tinnitus so I wonder if it's a frequency issue with her? Anyone else?
Bill

My wife claims she can hear a hum from the Tesla charger (we sleep over the garage) and it keeps her awake. I think it's a slight vibration through the exterior wall. When I move away from the wall in our bedroom I don't hear it as much (it's still there but nothing enough to keep me awake). She has tinnitus so I wonder if it's a frequency issue with her? Anyone else?
Bill

Depending on the charger, some hum more than others.
Third party chargers (such as a J1772), will hum more than a Tesla High Power Wall Charger.
The car will hum as well, with the pumps and such.
It’s normal.

Now we have a few ladies on this forum and I don't want to be sexist.... but..... she'd probably trade me in first!
As would my wife since my snoring has chased her from the bedroom.

Getting back to the problem at hand.... Assuming that your HPWC is mounted directly to a stud in your (exterior) wall, maybe if you use some rubber washers between the unit and the wall it might cut down on the humming that is being conducted.