Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging non-Tesla EV using Tesla charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to be able to charge a non-Tesla EV using the Tesla charger I already have for my Model S. What is the best way of doing this? I see JDapter and Tesla Tap adapters available with a length of cable (I need about 20 feet). Does anyone have any tips on what to use before I blow $350-400 on one of these? Thanks!

If this is for a second EV, you might also consider buying a J1772 EVSE. The price of a low-end J1772 EVSE won't be much greater than the prices you're citing for a JDapter/Tesla-Tap, although of course installation costs could be significant. It sounds like you need extra cable length to reach where the new car will go, so a second EVSE could be placed better for that car's need, thus obviating the need for such a long cord.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If this is for a second EV, you might also consider buying a J1772 EVSE. The price of a low-end J1772 EVSE won't be much greater than the prices you're citing for a JDapter/Tesla-Tap, although of course installation costs could be significant. It sounds like you need extra cable length to reach where the new car will go, so a second EVSE could be placed better for that car's need, thus obviating the need for such a long cord.

This is what we did. Have a Level 2 J1772 EVSE (32 amp) for the Volt (was previously for the Leaf) and a Tesla HPWC for the Model 3. Allows us to charge both cars at the same time.

Thank you for all the replies!

I don't have an option of installing a second 240V outlet without spending some serious bucks. I can buy a J1772 charger and use it for both cars -- that would be cheaper, since I can get one for about $200. I was thinking that buying a JDaptor would be more flexible, since it would allow me to charge my non-Tesla EV at Tesla destination chargers. Getting one with a longer cord allows more convenient parking options at home and could serve as an extension cord for ICEd public chargers. I was thinking that I could even use it for my MS as an extension cord. Would just have to buy an additional J1772 Tesla adapter.