Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea: Free New NACS Non Tesla Charging, Temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This made me think of Jan 2024, Tesla should enable free charging for non Teslas, limited amount of maybe 10KW, once rhe NACS to CCS adapters are available. This will encourage future use by non Teslas ahead of the adapter availability and credit card app setup which might be late.
epically bad idea unless it, somehow, makes business sense. None of your followups do.
share experiences
Yes. This means they pay for what they get just like Tesla drivers do. That would be what Tesla drivers pay plus a little (like 50-100%) extra for amortization of the cost to develop the infrastructure.
Now don't accuse me of being a hater of non-Tesla's. I've paid for many a charging session for new EV drivers who couldn't get an app set up to charge their Leafs, Kias, etc., when I had a fob that just works. It's fine as a personal gesture but not a generally good idea, especially when we Tesla owner paid for all of those Superchargers out of our own pockets.

I find it hilarious personally that out of all the things you could choose from, you picked this example out of nowhere as something you perceive as crazy, ridiculous, and impossible and something no one would do, when it's actually very common and something that many people do routinely.
I knew a lot of people would recognize the example. There are lots of crazy people out there.

Reactions: bmah
There are definitely headwinds against Tesla due to Elons personality rubbing them wrong
Need to separate Elon from Tesla for the potential buyer of the Ecosystem
These are the GM, Ford, Hyundai, Polestar ev buyers
They are charging their EVs today without TSC
We see brand new buyers of non-Tesla moving to Tesla
For the others, we can potentially draw them in with marketing funded free 10KWH charging as a preview before availability of the native app charging and CCS1 reverse adapter

Remember Rivian and Cad Lyric doing demos at TSCs, fell flat
Think the opposite, could be amazing

There are definitely headwinds against Tesla due to Elons personality rubbing them wrong
Elon is a double-edged sword though. His personality is such that he does what he thinks is right regardless of what anyone tells him. Back when nearly all of you were guzzling gasoline and everyone was wringing their hands about oil dependency and global climate change, he put his money, all of it, into endeavors that truly made a difference. This was despite the fact that all you experts said EVs wouldn't work and that a new car company could not be started.

Tesla would not exist if it weren't for Elon (Martin, JB, Ian, and Marc and a host of others were all critical too). Tesla also would not have grown or continue to grow without his dogged drive to forego profit taking in order to pursue what he things society needs. Musks arrogance pushed him to keep reinvesting all proceeds back into building factories and cheaper technologies, blatantly ignoring his Wall Street customers' harsh criticisms because he wasn't doing things their way (primarily wailing about him not making a profit since essentially all modern entrepreneurs go in with an 'exit strategy' to sell out as soon as they've made a few bucks.). The rabble was happy because he opposed the big guys. Now that he's been successful and the naive rabble are all his customers. Now that same rabble is getting their knickers in a wad because he doesn't do things their way.

Sure, he's a jerk. But, other than a few silly failures along the way he's the only one doing doing good things. Tesla is the only reason that the ICE makers (GM, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, VW, BMW, Daimler, . . .) who have tried to kill (literally) EVs at every step of the way, are doing anything to support EVs.

Need to separate Elon from Tesla

This is a worse idea than giving free Supercharging to those who did not support its creation.
Separating Musk from Tesla which is the reason for the ecosystem, would kill it, almost overnight - but lets not be dumb and test it.

Just to start off, I understand, respect and fan of Elon, agree with what you wrote.

I’m talking about the sensitive buyer and mean by separate, market loud “Tesla” so that it is heard over Elon, related to the vehicles.
A free charging event is like that. These people would be greeted by Tesla employees and Tesla owners charging at the same time.
Think advertising event. All before the non Tesla apps work and adapters readily available.

Def don’t want Elon separated from Tesla.

I’m talking about the sensitive buyer and mean by separate, market loud “Tesla” so that it is heard over Elon, related to the vehicles.
I understand what you mean here, however, it does not fit with Musk's psyche. He may not care about making $$ but he obsessively craves the attention. He insists on being out in front. Just ask Martin Eberhard.

I'm afraid we get the whole thing, we can't chose the parts we like or want. Sure, there will be folks who are turned off by him. Luckily (or actually by design), Tesla is doing enough damage to the rest of the auto industry that they will be forced to jump seriously into EVs. Tesla has blocked all other options (god knows they've tried enough of them). The nice thing Musk is doing is to annoy enough folks enough that customers will be willing to tolerate the incompetence and growing pains that the rest of the auto industry will suffer until they, too, learn how to make and charge compelling EVs.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't think that Tesla is going to have a problem drawing people into their charging ecosystem. The Supercharger experience will speak for itself. They don't need to give away free charging or do any promotions. In fact I think a lot of Tesla owners are worried about too much demand from non-Tesla vehicles (for the record, I think this may be an issue in the short term, but not in the long run).

You used "Tesla giving away free charging at some locations in the USA" as a precedent for this. You might not be aware that this was to try to incentivize travelers on some holiday weekends to charge during non-peak hours, to avoid over-crowding. It's not something that Tesla does to be nice, or to try to stimulate demand.

Bruce.

Next year other cars will go to North America Superchargers, and have to plug in an adapter. It's not going to be the easy plug-and-charge experience at least until the newer models are released.

It should at least offer reliability though.

Reactions: Rocky_H