Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea: Free New NACS Non Tesla Charging, Temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kpanda17

Oct 17, 2022
USA
I think I heard Tesla was giving out free charging at some locations in USA. This made me think of Jan 2024, Tesla should enable free charging for non Teslas, limited amount of maybe 10KW, once rhe NACS to CCS adapters are available. This will encourage future use by non Teslas ahead of the adapter availability and credit card app setup which might be late.

Locations for this should be large Tesla locations where Tesla and non Tesla owners can mingle and also Tesla swag can be purchased.

imagine brand new ID4, Polestar, Ford EV owners buying Tesla stuff.
😇

1690312491038.png

Yes, my idea is for Tesla to draw in early rhe non Tesla EV owners ahead of wide availability of the app CC charging and adapter
Draw in from where? EA? From many posts on this forum it looks like their lack of reliability would be incentive enough.
Do you think Tesla drivers paying to charge will be happy knowing the other EVs Supercharge free?

Reactions: Big Ike and israndy
Sorry, maybe I was not clear

The native apps, such as Fords, and NACS adapters wont be widely available until Jan/Feb or later 2024
Tesla could demo as soon as they have temporary adapters ready and show these non Tesla owners their future
While seeing happy Tesla owners charging

I’m a 2x Teala owner and would not care or maybe give Tesla owners free as well
Cost could come from Tesla advertising budget
But it would be limited to just say 10kw
DCFC
I could see Tesla owners helping non Tesla owners

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
My est 10KW in most places is $4
Like Starbucks giving samples
kW = power [output] (analogy: Horse Power/10 kW=14 HP)
kWh = energy [storage] (analogy: gallons of gas)

This is why the first responses were confused since L2 AC charging is often 10kW.

Tesla doesn't need to do a damn thing extra since they have Electrify America to drive other EV owners to the Supercharger network.

Last edited:
I’m a lover not a hater
love the idea of helping charge an ID4 at a supercharger right next to my MYP
share experiences ✌️
....and if it is a 8 stall site and there are 4 ID4s charging and since the port is on the passenger rear they have to take 2 stalls each while ½ the stalls are not being used but blocked off. Then you must to get in a queue behind 2 Mach E's, 2 F150 Lightning's and a Rivian all of which will also use 2 stalls each (port on the front driver's side) to charge and means you will not get an opening an hour or more while ½ the stalls sit unused.

Well you be feeling the love then?

Last edited:
Maybe it’s event based for a few hours and our Tesla NAVS will steer us clear during thst time
And mingling/waiting can take place for Teslas insisting on still going

Remember, at this time/Nov-Jan, the Ford app will not show rhe T supercharger as a recharge destination
It will be a marketed, event invitation
Tesla employees will be managing the event
It will be an EV mingling event parry

This is exactly what the new EV manuf charging group does NOT want
A Tesla leading non Tesla EV and Tesla owner mingling charging event/party

Visualize:
Tesla owners helping non Tesla EV owners to charge
Sharing EV ownership stories
Eating, drinking, buying/wearing Tesla swag
CT hats, Tesla jackets, Vessels, etc

Supercharging isn't really an "event" to show up for. It's something you do when you're on a road trip. Driving out of your way for a few free electrons is like driving out of your way to save $0.10 a gallon on gas. Tesla doesn't need to do anything to stoke demand. They are not making much, if anything, by people charging their cars. Most vehicles won't have the ability to supercharge by January 2024 anyway.

Marketing
Promoting the Tesla superior ecosystem
People crash gas stations that advertise $0.10 less per gallon
It’s not to make supercharging money during that event, it about rhe Tesla long game

Let’s agree to disagree
👍

Driving out of your way for a few free electrons is like driving out of your way to save $0.10 a gallon on gas.
I find it hilarious personally that out of all the things you could choose from, you picked this example out of nowhere as something you perceive as crazy, ridiculous, and impossible and something no one would do, when it's actually very common and something that many people do routinely.

Reactions: TunaBug and Genie
....give free 10KW charging to non Teslas....
Please learn and use the correct terms. 10kW is a charging speed and NOT an amount of energy sold. You don't go to a gas station and buy 10 Horse Power of gas.
Here it is again:

kW = power [output] (analogy: Horse Power/10 kW=14 HP)
kWh = energy [storage] (analogy: gallons of gas)

I don't think that Tesla is going to have a problem drawing people into their charging ecosystem. The Supercharger experience will speak for itself. They don't need to give away free charging or do any promotions. In fact I think a lot of Tesla owners are worried about too much demand from non-Tesla vehicles (for the record, I think this may be an issue in the short term, but not in the long run).

You used "Tesla giving away free charging at some locations in the USA" as a precedent for this. You might not be aware that this was to try to incentivize travelers on some holiday weekends to charge during non-peak hours, to avoid over-crowding. It's not something that Tesla does to be nice, or to try to stimulate demand.

Bruce.