TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging off of Truck's 220 outlet

Discussion in 'Cybertruck' started by ThomasD, Nov 27, 2019.

1. ThomasD

ThomasD Member

Are there any specs on the amps the outlet puts out? How long to charge that ATV? How much battery drain while charging large items and will the outlet cut off at a certain percentage of drain? I doubt I will be able to run my Mig Welder

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

No. No. No and no. OK.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

How much power does your Mig Welder need? My guess is that the 240v outlet will support 5-10kW. (The charger in reverse.)

4. ThomasD

ThomasD Member

I have a dedicated 50 amp circuit off of my fuse panel so about 11 kw

5. MP3Mike

But does it need that much? I wouldn't be surprised if it could run it...

• Like x 3
  6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

The Cybertruck will not have a 220 outlet. It'll have a 240 outlet.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. strider

strider Active Member

IIRC, Rivian is promising a 7.2kW plug (that is 240V/30A). So Tesla will have to at least match that.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

If Tesla got serious about using the battery to its full potential, they'd find a way to divert the drive inverter's three phase power to a high amperage outlet or interface of some sort.

9. scubastevo80

scubastevo80 Member

Any thoughts on whether one could daisy chain charge another car? Run the 14-50 or wall charger to the cyber truck and then run one of the outlets on the truck to a Model 3, for example? This might help people wanting two electric cars but having limited charging options or driveway/garage space constraints.

• Like x 1
  10. Blup85

Blup85 Member

This would be cool.

If not, Tesla would seem to have access to a good supply of Powerwall inverters capable of 5kw/ 7.5 surge inverters...

With a bigger pack, I would also venture they bring back 72amp charging, I miss my 80 amp MS charge rate :)

• Like x 3
  11. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Where is the pedantic emoji?

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  12. Blup85

Blup85 Member

This is how I would imagine RV camping at full hookups.The RV is plugged in to my Truck, and the truck is plugged in to the RV Electrical hookup. Truck charges, while supplying power to the RV.

13. MP3Mike

My guess is that they will use the AC charger backwards to provide power to the outlets.

If my guess is correct that they use the AC charger backwards that might not work out. Or maybe it would, but they would have to monitor the load to keep the draw from the RV electrical hookup below the level it can provide. (Pass-through from the charge port directly to the AC outlets and then the charger only charges with whatever power is left-over.)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Yeah, basically doing what a HPWC does. So, 72 amp inverter/charger @ 240 sounds pretty doable. I was thinking a 14-50 plug would be to much, but it actually is totally doable in that scenerio

• Informative x 1
  15. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

This is a nonstarter idea. Even if you were to use one of the 3 phases, the delivered voltage would be ~400V AC. Not compatible with any electrical gear you can buy.

• Informative x 1
  16. bxr140

bxr140 Active Member

240 output seems like a pretty easy V2H implementation...

• Like x 1
  17. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

If the inverter can't vary the output voltage, incorporate a step down transformer maybe? I'm not an electrical engineer..

• Like x 1
  18. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

Honestly, it's easier to include a dedicated 240V invertor than try to press the motor invertor into this job. The motor invertor is high voltage, variable frequency (and almost never 60Hz, like power distribution), and designed to drive a completely different load than normal appliances. A dedicated invertor is also cheaper, and much lighter, than a high power transformer. It's truly trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole to get the motor invertor to do the job of supplying 240V/120V appliances.

• Informative x 2
  19. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

Maybe so, but here's a whole whitepaper on exactly this topic: IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF:

• Informative x 1
  20. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

Probably more efficient to charge the cars one at a time. But I could see a scenario where AAA (or its major contractors) buys a fleet of these trucks to gain mobile charging capability.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1