Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging off of Truck's 220 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on whether one could daisy chain charge another car? Run the 14-50 or wall charger to the cyber truck and then run one of the outlets on the truck to a Model 3, for example? This might help people wanting two electric cars but having limited charging options or driveway/garage space constraints.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
If Tesla got serious about using the battery to its full potential, they'd find a way to divert the drive inverter's three phase power to a high amperage outlet or interface of some sort.
This would be cool.

If not, Tesla would seem to have access to a good supply of Powerwall inverters capable of 5kw/ 7.5 surge inverters...

With a bigger pack, I would also venture they bring back 72amp charging, I miss my 80 amp MS charge rate :)

Any thoughts on whether one could daisy chain charge another car? Run the 14-50 or wall charger to the cyber truck and then run one of the outlets on the truck to a Model 3, for example? This might help people wanting two electric cars but having limited charging options or driveway/garage space constraints.
This is how I would imagine RV camping at full hookups.The RV is plugged in to my Truck, and the truck is plugged in to the RV Electrical hookup. Truck charges, while supplying power to the RV.

If Tesla got serious about using the battery to its full potential, they'd find a way to divert the drive inverter's three phase power to a high amperage outlet or interface of some sort.

My guess is that they will use the AC charger backwards to provide power to the outlets.

This is how I would imagine RV camping at full hookups.The RV is plugged in to my Truck, and the truck is plugged in to the RV Electrical hookup. Truck charges, while supplying power to the RV.

If my guess is correct that they use the AC charger backwards that might not work out. Or maybe it would, but they would have to monitor the load to keep the draw from the RV electrical hookup below the level it can provide. (Pass-through from the charge port directly to the AC outlets and then the charger only charges with whatever power is left-over.)

If the inverter can't vary the output voltage, incorporate a step down transformer maybe? I'm not an electrical engineer..
Honestly, it's easier to include a dedicated 240V invertor than try to press the motor invertor into this job. The motor invertor is high voltage, variable frequency (and almost never 60Hz, like power distribution), and designed to drive a completely different load than normal appliances. A dedicated invertor is also cheaper, and much lighter, than a high power transformer. It's truly trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole to get the motor invertor to do the job of supplying 240V/120V appliances.

Honestly, it's easier to include a dedicated 240V invertor than try to press the motor invertor into this job. The motor invertor is high voltage, variable frequency (and almost never 60Hz, like power distribution), and designed to drive a completely different load than normal appliances. A dedicated invertor is also cheaper, and much lighter, than a high power transformer. It's truly trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole to get the motor invertor to do the job of supplying 240V/120V appliances.
Maybe so, but here's a whole whitepaper on exactly this topic: IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF:

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

Probably more efficient to charge the cars one at a time. But I could see a scenario where AAA (or its major contractors) buys a fleet of these trucks to gain mobile charging capability.