Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please be advised that "30 Amp" has different meanings. In an RV park, where one might look for 14-50 outlets and expect 40 amp 220 volt power, "30 Amp" means 110 volt, or 3.3 kw per hour. A true 220 volt 30 amp might be what you'd get from a J1772. But don't look for it at an RV park.
Well, 120V (not 110) or 240V (not 220).
USA uses 120/240 (or 208 in some commercial locations.)
Some other countries still use 110/220: Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. So my house has 2 phases but the power was rectified( I think that is the opposite of what I mean?) in the transformer or at the plant?
but there are two phases running on the power lines ? so why split one, and huh? I should probably just get my EE and learn all of the other stuff that isn't Chem/Civil/Culinary/fun
I think rectified is when converting AC to DC. They would do that inside the charger in your car, or inside an external fast charger like the supercharger.
Many devices run on DC internally, so have small "rectifiers" inside them. But a whole house rectifier would be unusual. Very few places distribute DC around the building.
Having split-phase AC service provides a way to get the 2 power levels to your house. For high powered appliances (e.g., dryer/heater/welder/oven) they use the two hot wires to get 240V. For most of the other devices (TVs/lights/etc.) they use one hot + neutral to get 120V. Since there are two different hots they tend to split them into different circuits so half of the house gets one of the "legs" and the other half of the house get the other "leg". If you use a volt meter with a really long extension cord you can find that there is 240V potential between the hot side of outlets from different parts of the house (when you find the two legs).
Most houses are served by a "step down transformer" (frequently on a pole) that takes higher distribution 3 phase (like ~440V) and steps it down to the split phase 120/240V. In some cases, one of the step down transformers may serve more than one house at once.

Last edited:
I built one, uses the ITT 75A J-1772 connector:

null-2.jpg

014DD906-AF14-47EE-AB1F-5107EF67BE67-2259-00000143634B3BBD.jpg

Only using a 14-50 until I get around to wiring the 100A breaker on the #3AWG copper to it, only charging a Plug-In-Prius for now:
75AOpenEVSEinstalled.jpg

PIP:
6A2BBFD3-74FB-4CE9-B64F-568FCFC48DE3-2259-0000014366624918.jpg

If you do come across a 24A charger then you are far better off to find a KOA - you'll charge nearly twice as fast.

Doug, I'm curious to know what your experiences at KOA are like for EV charging. As I get ready to join the EV ranks, I have been looking into charging options and have scanned the KOA web site. At most locations, it looks like you have to rent a pad (some are even min 2 day rentals) to get access to the power, and that can be quite expensive.

I think KOA and other campgrounds with this power infrastructure in place are sitting on a golden opportunity with EV charging if marketed and priced appropriately.

From what I have heard, KOA charging (or any RV park for that matter) is "hit or miss". It is more about the attitude, knowledge and flexibility of the person you are dealing with when asking the question than anything about corporate policy. I see people get responses like:

• "No EV charging here, period." (Usually some lame excuse given like "people might trip over the cord")
  • "You can rent the spot for a day at full price and use it however you want." (Basically paying overnight camping fees just to charge.)
  • "Just go ahead and use it for an hour or so and have a nice day." (Lucky you!)
  • "Pay me $5 and you can use it for an hour." (Semi-lucky you)

Doug - does Sun Country Highway have a map of their charge station locations along with power ratings? I didn't see anything on the website and PlugShare only has a couple listed.

They are planning a big roll-out in the near future. As I understand it, once they launch the network all the locations will be made public.

- - - Updated - - -

Doug, I'm curious to know what your experiences at KOA are like for EV charging. As I get ready to join the EV ranks, I have been looking into charging options and have scanned the KOA web site. At most locations, it looks like you have to rent a pad (some are even min 2 day rentals) to get access to the power, and that can be quite expensive.

I think KOA and other campgrounds with this power infrastructure in place are sitting on a golden opportunity with EV charging if marketed and priced appropriately.

KOA has a corporate policy of $10 for an EV charge. Many but not all KOAs follow the policy. Obviously you have to work around the slots being available, so travel on a long weekend might be trickier than travel on a week day.

At the one I have gone to a few times - 1000 Islands KOA - the owners are really wonderful. They're into all kinds of green initiatives, and not only do they let me charge, they've refused to let me pay! One time, one of the workers lent me a car so my wife and I could drive to a nearby restaurant for lunch while we waited (I made a point of putting some gas in it - plus extra). Simply incredible.

One time I had to pass through on a Friday before a big weekend. They told me to go ahead and plug in somewhere, but stay available in case the people who reserved the slot showed up. Well I had to move the car three times (yeah I picked the exact wrong spot every single time!) but I got the electrons I needed!

KOA has a corporate policy of $10 for an EV charge. Many but not all KOAs follow the policy. Obviously you have to work around the slots being available, so travel on a long weekend might be trickier than travel on a week day.

That, and your experiences sounds like fantastic news. I imagine it would be helpful to call ahead before showing up to make sure everyone is on board.