Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Program (New to EV)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have enough energy at the end of the day for the next day, is there any reason to charge the car overnight?

No overwhelming need to charge every night. But... You just never know what tomorrow will bring. If you are at home and parked in your normal spot, why not? OTOH, not really a big deal if you forget, or it is not convenient for some reason, such as traveling somewhere.

Reactions: Big Earl
1) If you plug in every day, it becomes something you do automatically, so you'll be much less likely to forget to plug when you really need it.*,**
2) You could be wrong about how much you'll need tomorrow.
3) Vampire drain (use of energy by the car while you're not there) cannot always be predicted accurately.

* We have a Volt. It's my wife's commuter so she drives it much more than I do:
- If I drive it, I sometimes forget to plug in when I get home (especially if I have a distraction, like takeout)
- If my wife drives it, she sometimes forgets _not_ to plug in when she gets home.

** See also, use of turn signals.

I don't. For 4 years on my 88 mile Leaf and a year om the Model 3, I charge when I need it. With the model 3, it's once or twice a week.

But, do make sure that you take it to 100% every few months to balance the batteries. Preferably, that's as part of a longer trip.

You'll probably soon see the folks quoting the manual and saying that a "Plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" But honestly, It's hard to keep it plugged in while travelling down the road.

Tesla built the car so that you don't have to worry about the battery, so don't. Look for all of the guidance from Tesla (not rumors or third hand knowledge), there really isn't any. Just enjoy the car.

Reactions: 19x100D
You'll probably soon see the folks quoting the manual and saying that a "Plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" But honestly, It's hard to keep it plugged in while travelling down the road.
;):p...

Me personally it’s just automatic when I park my car in garage I plug in ..habit I have after 3 Tesla’s ..now if one were using a mobile connector and had to unpack and pack every morning I probably would charge as needed ...that’s one advantage of perm wall connector

Reactions: jboy210 and K3Man
Noting that battery degradation curves are usually plotted vs number of charge/discharge cycles and despite the fact that I realize these are often equivalent full charge to full discharge values I have it in my head that minimizing the number of charge cycles may help. Thus I usually charge to 75% and then don't charge again until the battery is well below 50%. But as the manufacturer says it's OK to set if for 90% and plug it in whenever you get home I don't think you'll go too far wrong by doing just that.

Treat it like your cell phone. You may not need to charge, but what if you skip it and do need that charge? Just develop a best practice of plugging in when you can. if you have a garage or carport at a house, plug in so it an do its thing while you are sleeping.

Reactions: TexasEV