Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Question -PCS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging question - I have noticed lately that every time I plug in the charger, the app instantly shows that the charging has stopped or sometimes Tesla start charging failed and after a couple of seconds, the charging starts. No error or FC’s on the screen. Any idea what’s wrong with it? Could it be the PCS? Tesla sent me an estimate this morning stating tha they are going to swap the PCS. No problem with the charging so far

5 Comments

Comment

Send

I may have a similar issue since 2 days:
* plugging in to my home type 2 charger (3 phase, EU) causes the circuit breaker in my panel to trip immediately (which leads me to believe ground error or phases leak). Even happens at 5A
* plugging in to public type2 causes that charger to go into RED mode for... ever?
* Car gives no errors, just 'no charger power' or so, and charge port light goes light blue and unlocks.
On DC (CCS and SuperCharger both), it also won't work: says 'starting the charge'... blue blinks.... then goes RED on the car. On SuperCharger, it actually keeps retrying this in a loop. Red, BlueBlink for 20 ish sec, Red for 5, etc etc

SeC is thinging about PCS, but I'm not so sure about that, since the DC/SuC charging as also affected...
Anyone any ideas? I want to be able to deal with SeC with some actual knowledge when they call me with their assessment... and estimate.

Upvote 0
I may have a similar issue since 2 days:
* plugging in to my home type 2 charger (3 phase, EU) causes the circuit breaker in my panel to trip immediately (which leads me to believe ground error or phases leak). Even happens at 5A
* plugging in to public type2 causes that charger to go into RED mode for... ever?
* Car gives no errors, just 'no charger power' or so, and charge port light goes light blue and unlocks.
On DC (CCS and SuperCharger both), it also won't work: says 'starting the charge'... blue blinks.... then goes RED on the car. On SuperCharger, it actually keeps retrying this in a loop. Red, BlueBlink for 20 ish sec, Red for 5, etc etc

SeC is thinging about PCS, but I'm not so sure about that, since the DC/SuC charging as also affected...
Anyone any ideas? I want to be able to deal with SeC with some actual knowledge when they call me with their assessment... and estimate.
To me that sounds like two issues that the SC is diagnosing as one. A contactor failure and a PCS failure. Had the same issue with DC fast chargers where the car would try to charge and keep cycling. Do you hear the contactor pop but not fully engage?

Upvote 0
To me that sounds like two issues that the SC is diagnosing as one. A contactor failure and a PCS failure. Had the same issue with DC fast chargers where the car would try to charge and keep cycling. Do you hear the contactor pop but not fully engage?
I can hear the main HV contactors open/close but I have never heard the contactors that close to allow DC fast charging. AFAIK, there are two sets of contactors?

Upvote 0
Sounds logical, but also a bit unlikely - started happening at exactly the same time? Still hoping there's a less expensive root cause for them both (eg smth in the charge port itself...). Maybe the logs from the SuC or car will tell.

Upvote 0
Sounds logical, but also a bit unlikely - started happening at exactly the same time? Still hoping there's a less expensive root cause for them both (eg smth in the charge port itself...). Maybe the logs from the SuC or car will tell.
Sorry it took a while to respond was trying to find a service tech that I could talk to at my local SC. They said a total PCS failure could cause issues in the AC and DC sides. For the model 3 the repair is about 1500-2000. My best guess is for a X it could likely be more. I find it idiotic how PCS and contactors aren't covered in the battery warranty. They're key parts of the battery and allow it to charge.

Upvote 0
2700 Euros, is the quote. That's including our 21% VAT. Part is not on stock, so I'm without car for quite a while....
Worst of all is that if I just fork this over, the warranty on this repair is only 12 months OR 20k km, IRL that means about 7 months for me. Totally unacceptable.
The 12 month parts warranty for headlights and taillights was ok (got my taillights replaced free when they fogged up again). But for an important powertrain component is definitely unreasonable. IMO they need to revise the battery/motor warranty to an overall powertrain warranty for 8 years 120k miles (200,000 km) or 8 years unlimited miles for S and X owners. How can we trust these cars if the PCS or contactors go out and leave us stranded for weeks to months depending on part avaialbity. I'm ok with paying for a failed seat motor or a squeaking suspension part, but if I can't drive the car I payed for or charge it then I find that to be hugely problematic.

Reactions: deBoerisTroef
Upvote 0