Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Rate Control with Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a pair of Teslas (2015 Model S, 2020 Model X) that I charge via an identical pair of communicating Gen 2 Tesla High Powered Wall Connectors (HPWCs) in my garage, capable of load balancing. The HPWCs share a single 100 amp 240V circuit, and both HPWCs have their DIP switches set for 80 amps maximum output. The reason for such a high 80A current limit is that my 2015 Model S has dual built-in AC-->DC chargers and can actually sustain a L2 charging rate of 80A @ 240VAC. In contrast, my newer Model X (with a single built-in internal AC to DC charger) is limited to a 48A L2 charging rate.

So here's my question: When using the latest Tesla App on my iPhone, how come I can remotely select the amperage charging rate (up to 80 amps) for my old Model S, but there's no similar ability in the Tesla App to set the amperage charge rate for my newer Model X (It's fixed at 48A unless I adjust it in the car)? Both cars are running the same software version. Just curious.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Teslas (2015 Model S, 2020 Model X) that I charge via an identical pair of communicating Gen 2 Tesla High Powered Wall Connectors (HPWCs) in my garage, capable of load balancing. The HPWCs share a single 100 amp 240V circuit, and both HPWCs have their DIP switches set for 80 amps maximum output. The reason for such a high 80A current limit is that my 2015 Model S has dual built-in AC-->DC chargers and can actually sustain a L2 charging rate of 80A @ 240VAC. In contrast, my newer Model X (with a single built-in internal AC to DC charger) is limited to a 48A L2 charging rate.

So here's my question: When using the latest Tesla App on my iPhone, how come I can remotely select the amperage charging rate (up to 80 amps) for my old Model S, but there's no similar ability in the Tesla App to set the amperage charge rate for my newer Model X (It's fixed at 48A unless I adjust it in the car)? Both cars are running the same software version. Just curious.
So you're saying you don't see the left arrow on the 48A button for the Model X?

Capture.JPG

On a different note, I've seen at least two Gen 2 wall chargers that can't handle above 56A (breakers, DIP switches, etc are correct) but you're able to charge your Model S at 80A.

Since I originally posted this, a newer version of the Tesla app (or perhaps a software update in the Model X?) has fixed this problem, so I can now adjust the charging amperage on both my 2015 Model S (up to 80 amps) and 2020 Model X (up to 48 amps) from the app as expected.