Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging rate of 2020 Raven vs 2023 and up refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother has a 2020 Model S, the so-called "Raven" version. I was telling him how much faster my 2023 S Long Range charges than my 2016 Model S. He wants to know if the current S will charge noticeably faster than his. I believe the answer is "Yes"-- as I recall, when the refresh Long Range and Plaid were introduced, the Plaid had a much more aggressive charging curve, and the Long Range got this benefit a year or so later. However, I can't find any data to verify what I think is correct. Does anyone know for sure?

June, 2020 was the time Tesla enabled full 250kw charging rates by putting in new wiring to enable this rate. My car built in that month can achieve that rate. I am not sure about any further modifications since then, except the Cybertruck.

I know the charging rate was changed; I'm thinking more about how rapidly the charging curve-- i.e. wattage-- drops as the batteries charge. I know when the original 2021 refresh Model S Long Range and Plaid were introduced, the Plaid would sustain a higher wattage charge curve for much longer than the LR, presumably due to software differences. I believe the LR was brought up to parity with the Plaid sometime in 2022. What I don't know is how the charge curve for the current LR compares with that of the Raven. Presumably it's better, but by how much?

June, 2020 was the time Tesla enabled full 250kw charging rates by putting in new wiring to enable this rate. My car built in that month can achieve that rate. I am not sure about any further modifications since then, except the Cybertruck.
Not relates but the busbars in the model 3 support 300kw supercharging, so I can only assume and hope newer vehicles do also. Won't know till tesla raises the 250kw limit

I know the charging rate was changed; I'm thinking more about how rapidly the charging curve-- i.e. wattage-- drops as the batteries charge. I know when the original 2021 refresh Model S Long Range and Plaid were introduced, the Plaid would sustain a higher wattage charge curve for much longer than the LR, presumably due to software differences. I believe the LR was brought up to parity with the Plaid sometime in 2022. What I don't know is how the charge curve for the current LR compares with that of the Raven. Presumably it's better, but by how much?
They have different battery chemistry(Raven vs. Palladium), but I don't see anything saying the Plaid originally charged faster.

These are test when they were first released in 2021:

1716328695720.png

Reactions: DerbyDave

Attachments

• tesla-model-s-plaid-charging-1638896449.png
    tesla-model-s-plaid-charging-1638896449.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
heres the graph i remember.
the long range didnt get the same independent cooling system for the battery like the plaid did at first.

That's comparing the Raven to the Plaid. There was no Long Range Plus in the Palladium.

I don't think you are correct about the LR vs the Plaid. They were identical outside of motors, spoiler, seats, trim, and brakes.

Edit: That's what you were looking for, though. Raven vs Refresh (Palladium) in your graph.

That's comparing the Raven to the Plaid. There was no Long Range Plus in the Palladium.

I don't think you are correct about the LR vs the Plaid. They were identical outside of motors, spoiler, seats, trim, and brakes.

Edit: That's what you were looking for, though. Raven vs Refresh (Palladium) in your graph.
I remember reading somewhere that the 402 mile long range doesn't support the faster charging, and the 405 mile range does, about timeline when the switch happened I don't remember

I remember reading somewhere that the 402 mile long range doesn't support the faster charging, and the 405 mile range does, about timeline when the switch happened I don't remember
Starting in June, 2020 the Long Range Plus (402 miles) supported the current fastest charging rates.

Starting in June, 2020 the Long Range Plus (402 miles) supported the current fastest charging rates.
If you look at the charging graph I posted above, both cars do reach 250kw, but only one of them was able to sustain that speeds for any amount of time so this is useless
And if you look at the graph I posted above both cars reach 250kw, one only does it for a split second so that doesn't mean much
That was prior to the refresh being released.
One of the loaner cars I got from tesla was a 2021 Ludacris and it did the red line on that graph, so it wasn't even new enough. The next one I got was a 2022 and it did do the blue graph

And if you look at the graph I posted above both cars reach 250kw, one only does it for a split second so that doesn't mean much

One of the loaner cars I got from tesla was a 2021 Ludacris and it did the red line on that graph, so it wasn't even new enough. The next one I got was a 2022 and it did do the blue graph
2021 Ludacris is still pre-refresh. Plaid and Long Range are the only Palladium models. They started shipping in June of 2021.