Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging schedule help and precondition help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a home charging station I bought through the local electric company that allows me to get .06 cents kw/hr as long as I charge between 10pm-5am.

I leave for work at 5:40am

I live in Mn and it’ll be cold in 4months.

I need to have it charge between those hours and precondition by the time I leave.

So do just start charge @10:01pm which finishes within 2 hours and then just set precondition by 5:30am? Is this the smartest way to do it?

Or do I set it to charge by 5am and precondition for departure @5:30?

It’s weird the app doesn’t ask for the start and stop times for off peak

Also: when I precondition does the climate control automatically come on? Does it just go to whatever preset temp I have?

• Informative
Reactions: hsfrank
Assuming you charge daily, I would turn on the off peak charge setting with an off peak end time of 4:45am. (You can do 5:00am, but I like to give it a little more buffer). Then set preconditioning if you would like with a departure time of 5:30am.

It will start when it needs to in order to finish by the set time. 6+ hours should be more than enough time unless you just came back from a long road trip with a nearly dead battery.

Preconditioning will use your last set climate temperature.

Also be aware that the car will pull from house power to run the preconditioning, which will be after your off peak ends. So it will be preconditioning with electricity at a higher rate. Although it shouldn’t use much power overall. Maybe 0.5-1kWh. If you’re talking about saving the most electric cost then it would be cheaper to not have it precondition while plugged in.

Reactions: kpanda17
Upvote 0
Assuming you charge daily, I would turn on the off peak charge setting with an off peak end time of 4:45am. (You can do 5:00am, but I like to give it a little more buffer). Then set preconditioning if you would like with a departure time of 5:30am.

It will start when it needs to in order to finish by the set time. 6+ hours should be more than enough time unless you just came back from a long road trip with a nearly dead battery.

Preconditioning will use your last set climate temperature.

Also be aware that the car will pull from house power to run the preconditioning, which will be after your off peak ends. So it will be preconditioning with electricity at a higher rate. Although it shouldn’t use much power overall. Maybe 0.5-1kWh. If you’re talking about saving the most electric cost then it would be cheaper to not have it precondition while plugged in.

Thanks I appreciate it. Would having precondition end @5am keep it warm enough by the time I leave @5:45am?

Upvote 0
Depends what the temperature differential is and if it’s inside or outside. But you would need to go in and manually turn off the preconditioning each time if you didn’t want it to run past 5am.

Right. It’s so strange they don’t have a quick precondition on the app. Sometimes you get stuff u gotta do on the fly and it’d be nice to quick press it.

Upvote 0