Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging software limited pack to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 457078 View attachment 457079

Look, I get that you desperately want this to be true; to the point of disregarding mountains of direct evidence, but you really need to stop spreading misinformation.

I’ve attached screen shots of the Model S spec page from May 2019 courtesy of the internet archive. They clearly show the weight of the long range car at 4883 pounds, and the standard range at 4769.

Your battery part sticker clearly says 75kwh. Your car’s charging characteristics are identical to that of the 75kwh battery. It walks and quacks like a duck.

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt. Believe what you want, it’s your car - but please stop deluding others.

Well, we can go with what "webarchive" says, whoever they are, OR we can go with the Owner's Manual. Here you go:

Attachments

• 2019Manual.jpg
    2019Manual.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 2016manual.jpg
    2016manual.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 41
Like I’ve said all along, I’ll take “what does the battery sticker say” for $500, Alex.
75 due to software limitation.
C'moon man, this is getting ridiculous, I understand that you don't want to be wrong, but you're saying that my Ranger is lying to me, that Forbes.com, cleantechnica.com, techspot.com, Digital Trends, Electrek are all wrong, and that I shouldn't pay attention to what the owner's manual is saying, and instead, go with what you're saying.

75 due to software limitation.
The part number on your physical battery pack doesn’t reflect software limitations. It’s the part number for the physical pack itself. Putting fake stickers on 100kwh packs with identical part numbers would be a logistical nightmare.

My software limited 60kwh car has a 75kwh battery sticker. Plain as day.

C'moon man, this is getting ridiculous, I understand that you don't want to be wrong,
I’m perfectly fine being wrong, but the only hard evidence you and others have provided have shown I’m right. I’ve explained why, and like I said, because these threads become the collective body of knowledge for this community, I’m invested in keeping the record accurate.

but you're saying that my Ranger is lying to me,

well, lying implies intent, and I don’t think that’s the case. I just think he’s clueless, and have been around the company long enough to know most front line staff are.

that Forbes.com, cleantechnica.com, techspot.com, Digital Trends, Electrek are all wrong,
Again, they reported on facts at the time, facts that in subsequent months turned out to be objectively false.

and that I shouldn't pay attention to what the owner's manual is saying,
Given the preponderance of evidence that contradicts it, yes.

and instead, go with what you're saying.
You should go with whatever you want - I’m more interested in the record containing accurate information.

the choices are:

* Tesla put a fake battery sticker on your car and then programmed software to make it charge and behave exactly like a real 75kwh battery, despite direct evidence that they’ve never done this before on any software locked cars.

* There is a typo in the owners manual and your service tech told you incorrect information.

I’ll leave the choice as to which is more likely as an exercise to the reader.

Last edited:
14 hours later...

Wife: “Honey, come to bed!”
You: “I can’t, I think everyone on the internet is wrong.”

Charge your car to 100% daily.

Enjoy. In a few years when you have a greatly diminished battery, you can tell the service center that a guy on the internet said it would be ok, because you really have a 100 battery despite the sticker saying that it’s 75, and that you bought a 75.

It will make it all better.

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd
Well, we can go with what "webarchive" says, whoever they are, OR we can go with the Owner's Manual. Here you go:

So, I finally just looked at your owners manual screen caps, and I’m honestly not sure why you think this proves your point.

The online owners manual is updated constantly to reflect current information. In this case, that info IS current, because once again Tesla has “stopped selling” Standard Range model S (of course available inventory points to this being a farce, but they don’t advertise the standard range car any more). So the currently available Model S long range, which is indeed a “100D”, has identical weight as the 100D. Not a shocker. Your standard range car, which technically doesn’t exist any more, is listed nowhere. But the fact it isn’t there proves nothing, and is certainly not “case closed” in support of your point.

Fact is, when Tesla DID actively sell standard range cars, they listed them with different weights. On their own site.

I'm still waiting for you to post one piece of evidence that says 2019 Standard Rage MS uses a 75 kwh physical battery.

You don't believe the owner's manual stated weight, but you failed to post any evidence to the contrary.

You don't think the news outlets reporting is accurate, but failed to provide any evidence disproving those articles either.

You assume you know more about Teslas than a Tesla technician.

You found an obscure website that indicates the wrong weight, but you clearly stayed away from any reputable sites that confirm the owner's manual wight, such as US News, AutoBlog or ev-database. Simpler yet, you can just Google "2019 tesla model s standard range curb weight" and you will get the correct 2,883 lbs.

So far the evidence that you have presented is based entirely on because you say so.

It's obvious that no amount of facts will sway you from what you want to believe, but that's fine, it's your right to think whatever you want.
But more importantly, your obsession with being right about a total stranger's battery size seems strange, and quite frankly, unhealthy. Just let it go, it's no big deal.

Last edited:
You found an obscure website that indicates the wrong weight, but you clearly stayed away from any reputable sites that confirm the owner's manual.

Tesla’s own website from May 2019 is now “obscure”. Love it.

The evidence is your own battery sticker. And the others on that site that have confirmed it. For someone asking others to “let it go”, why do you keep bumping a thread days after the fact to argue?

Enjoy your software locked 100! Don’t forget to charge to 100%! :)