Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ritsp

Apr 25, 2019
London
Apologies if topics have been covered, and newbie questions.
I am awaiting a delivery of a MX 75D but there have been a few hicups leading to delays (DVLA requiring "manual" registration, i have been told). The delivery team have given me a loan MS 75D to use for now.
I have tried to charge it twice on 2 different public chargers. HOWEVER both times it appears to be painfully slow.
  • No other cars were charging
  • both times was using RAPID AC type 2 connectors
  • Yesterday (ESB EV point) in 1 hour 20 mins i managed to add 22.1kWh (about 50 miles)
  • Sunday (Shell Recharge) 37 mins added 11kWh .
My question are
Is this how slow it should be ?
Will CCS adapater change this ?
Is there anything i can do to speed this up ?
Anyone else been delayed by manual registration being required ? should i be worried ?

AC is slow. You need to use DC rapid chargers if you want to charge at higher speeds.

Unfortunately unless you bought the extra CHAdeMO adapter the only rapid chargers you can use are Tesla ones.

In at nutshell regarding the charging, yes you're limited by the car because you're charging on AC. The car converts the AC power to DC using an on-board charge unit which can only deliver up to 16.5 kW. If you do the maths that matches your figures.

If/when CCS adapters come along you'll be able to charge on DC and get 40 kW+ depending on the charge unit. In the meantime you need a CHAdeMO adapter to make use of a rapid unit, otherwise you might as well use a Type 2 cable (will you get one with your car, they should be included?) on a "fast" charger and leave the rapid for other users who can make full use of the available power (for AC that's basically just Renault Zoes I think).

3rd party charging is rubbish. You were lucky to find one working ... let alone the fact that it is slow.

If you can use Superchargers then do that - often worth doing even if you have to detour. At least they will be working, and very unlikely (except for 2-stall sites) that they will all be occupied.

A Better Route Planner may help with your planning

Home Charging is pretty much essential too. That way you leave home with 200-ish miles range, and the only days you need to charge are the ones when you go further than that.

unfortunately there seems to be fewer superchargers in surrey\sussex areas than other parts of the country

My ideal (which I am lucky to have) is a Supercharger at 50-100 miles FROM Home on every arterial route that I might come home on. That allows me to stop when battery getting low, and close enough to home that I can accurately predict %battery needed.

Charging further away will mean I might then hit traffic / roadworks, which means I use less energy and have wasted time sat at Supercharger. Also, I probably charged from higher starting %age, and finished at higher %age, which is slower than the same kWh put into a battery starting from lower %age.

You've got (I think?) M3, A3 and M2 ... something on M23 would help folk inbetween.

But for Model-3 then CCS has loads of locations ... not fast, but may be 50% of Supercharger.