Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to incorrect limit on 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My normal daily charge limit is set to 90%, until yesterday, the car will charge to the set limit. Yesterday, the car correctly charged to 90% overnight, then in the morning I bumped the limit to 95% in anticipation of my road trip. After 30 min or so, I get a notification that charging had completed, so I went to unplug. After unplugging, I noticed the car and app now says that charge is level is 98% and regen is limited.

After returning home late Sat night, I was down to 17%. I plugged in and the charge limit was set to 90%. This morning the car only charged to 88%.

Anybody else see this weird charging behavior before? I've had the car almost 6 months and have not encountered this type of error before.

I set the charge limit using the API, so it is accurate. Also, the battery GUI in both the app and car show the correct limit but actually charge level is lower today and higher yesterday.

Happened to me yesterday. I had it set to 85% and it ended at 88% on both the car screen and app one could see the line was to the left if where it ended the session at. No destination in nav and 12 miles from home as I was charging at a movie theater. Not sure what to make of it but until I get .12 which is imminent I'll set it 5% lower than I want.

The car will charge higher than the set limit when you have a destination set in the navigation and it takes a higher charge level to reach it with a reasonable buffer. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

That's the first I've ever heard of this "feature". I didn't have a destination entered when it went over the limit. I didn't even know the exact address until 5 minutes before leaving. Also doesn't explain why it went under the limit the next day. Seems like it's a bug. I'll keep charging the next few nights and see what happens.