Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging two Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s what I meant. I was talking about the wire to the 14-50 outlet, not the outlet itself. It’s clear to me that has to go. My question is: I can connect the two wall chargers to a single cable?
Here is my setup, a single wire to a 60 amp breaker.
1000004007.jpg

Reactions: ahostmadsen
We have 3 EVs (2017 S, 2018 3, 2016 Leaf - leaf purchased in 2019). We do just fine with a single Wall connector. Each car drives ~50 miles per day and we plug a different one in each night.

I seriously considered getting another wall connector and doing the power sharing on our WC2 but as of yet we haven't really needed it. I even bought the WC and it's still in a box for the past 4 years.

How many miles do you drive?
The main thing is we need to charge mainly during daytime to get the electricity from our PV. There is a somewhat narrow window when there is sun and the cars are at home.

The universal wall connector specifically allows sharing a branch circuit in the manual. The WC2 did also. The WC3 does not show it this way.

Ultimately it will be up to your inspector on how it can be connected.
You’re right. It seems like WC3 doesn’t allow connecting multiple WC to a single circuit breaker. The third diagram is missing from the most recent installation guide. It seems you need a subpanel. That of course increases installation cost.

We have one model 3 and are thinking of ordering another. To my surprise it seems Tesla does not have any solutions for charging two Teslas simultaneously (this would be an incentive to buy two Teslas rather than from different brands). The only way is manually moving the cable from one to the other. I had hoped you could connect both to a charger at the same time, and then some software could manage the charging (first charge one, then other other when the first is charged etc). Are there any such solutions?

We also have a Tesla powerwall and use the 'charge on solar,' and we would like to continue using that, so if it were a third party solution it would have to work with 'charge on solar.'
Huh? Just buy 2 wall connector and pair them together and use load sharing...

It is clear to me from the replies how to charge both Teslas.

What I still don't have is a firm answer on is whether it works with "charge on solar." Did anyone get two wall connectors to work with "charge on solar"? Tesla support hints it's possible, but I want to make sure before making a big investment.

Charge on solar doesn't actually care about the EVSE (charging station). It works with non-Tesla charging stations (i.e. I have Tesla cars but not Tesla charging stations). It is entirely coordinated between the cars and the PV system. So, it should work. I've never had both cars plugged in at the same time with charge on solar enabled but I'll try to test that when the opportunity occurs, but I don't see why it wouldn't work since Tesla specifically called out this use case.

Reactions: ahostmadsen
We have one model 3 and are thinking of ordering another. To my surprise it seems Tesla does not have any solutions for charging two Teslas simultaneously (this would be an incentive to buy two Teslas rather than from different brands). The only way is manually moving the cable from one to the other. I had hoped you could connect both to a charger at the same time, and then some software could manage the charging (first charge one, then other other when the first is charged etc). Are there any such solutions?

We also have a Tesla powerwall and use the 'charge on solar,' and we would like to continue using that, so if it were a third party solution it would have to work with 'charge on solar.'
I can answer the two Tesla question. You can use a Neocharge to plug both in and schedule one at a time to charge. That's what I do. You can also charge both at a reduced rate, but I choose one at time.
It's that easy.

Oops, sorry. I didn't read all the way through to read that you figured out how to charge two at a time....

Attachments

• 20220805_154048.jpg
    20220805_154048.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I can answer the two Tesla question. You can use a Neocharge to plug both in and schedule one at a time to charge. That's what I do. You can also charge both at a reduced rate, but I choose one at time.
It's that easy.

Oops, sorry. I didn't read all the way through to read that you figured out how to charge two at a time....
No, actually very useful. Much cheaper than buying two wall connectors. I looked at the instructions, and it's doesn't say anything about being able to schedule charging. That is something you can do through the app?

That’s what I meant. I was talking about the wire to the 14-50 outlet, not the outlet itself. It’s clear to me that has to go. My question is: I can connect the two wall chargers to a single cable?
Yes. IMHO, the preferred way is to install a small sub-panel in the same spot as the 14-50 outlet. The sub-panel is only $35 and each 50A breaker is only $20. Then you wire each Wall Connector to its own breaker and set the Group to 50A max. The only drawback to this is that whenever a car is plugged in but not charging, it will keep 6A from the other car. So, the fastest any car can charge when both are plugged in is 34A. When both are actively charging, they will get 20A each.

However, you could also use Polaris type connectors to hard wire both Wall Connectors to the single circuit. DO NOT use wire nuts.

No, actually very useful. Much cheaper than buying two wall connectors. I looked at the instructions, and it's doesn't say anything about being able to schedule charging. That is something you can do through the app?
Yes, but the easy way is to schedule through your app and the Neocharge will only allow one to charge by default and when the first car is done, it switches over to the second one automatically. That is the default setup.