Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging upon plug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite setting a charge schedule corresponding to off peak hours on Pge EV-A, if I plug in and the SOC is below my set limit of 70% the car starts charging immediately even during peak hours. I then have to
use the touch screen to “stop charging” or open the app to stop charging. Is there a work around for this?

Despite setting a charge schedule corresponding to off peak hours on Pge EV-A, if I plug in and the SOC is below my set limit of 70% the car starts charging immediately even during peak hours. I then have to
use the touch screen to “stop charging” or open the app to stop charging. Is there a work around for this?

When you say "set a charging schedule" do you mean you have it set to not start charging until a certain time (like midnight?)

What are you using to "set the charging limit to 70%" (the tesla app doesnt set by percentages, it has lines that one can correspond to those but it doesnt say 70%"

Are you using any third party apps AT ALL (any) such as teslafi, stats, teslamate or ANY app that connects to your car that is not the official tesla app? If so, start with disabling that and then testing.

I don't use this feature myself, but many others do and don't have this issue. The car never charges past its limit, so it is irrelevant that you arrived with it below your limit.

I'd leave it to people experienced with this feature, but you are probably not setup for scheduled charging.

Despite setting a charge schedule corresponding to off peak hours on Pge EV-A,
You are not saying which car feature you are using. You can only pick one or the other of scheduled charging START time, or scheduled DEPARTURE time. This is not intuitive in the interface, so it messes a lot of people up.
The difference between the two is that scheduled start time works, but scheduled departure time is a buggy horrible mess that doesn't work. ;) And I'm only slightly joking.

Also, you can select the time for it, but there should still be an "ON/OFF" button to toggle whether the scheduled start is activated or not. You might have overlooked that.

Reactions: jjrandorin
You are not saying which car feature you are using. You can only pick one or the other of scheduled charging START time, or scheduled DEPARTURE time. This is not intuitive in the interface, so it messes a lot of people up.
The difference between the two is that scheduled start time works, but scheduled departure time is a buggy horrible mess that doesn't work. ;) And I'm only slightly joking.

Also, you can select the time for it, but there should still be an "ON/OFF" button to toggle whether the scheduled start is activated or not. You might have overlooked that.
I

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
We're also seeing this issue on our Model Y. Whenever we take it out for a drive and return, it will immediately start charging even though we have scheduled charging set up. I have to manually turn it off. Our Model S had this issue a few months back but I haven't seen it recently with that vehicle.