Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging voltage capped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there! I'd like to setup a discussion regarding possible capping when battery full. I have noticed on my MS 85D the max voltage on cell level to be 4,1V. In SMT I have nominal cap 67,1kWh, but I can achieve only like 64kWh therefore (96% max). I have done a range test under 90kph, 0°C on a flat highway and could achieve almost 350km and pulled 60kWh out of the pack. I tried also calibrate the battery following all tips I could find without any success - it still ends on 96%.
I tried charging till the end on AC and also on SCH with the same result - voltage never exceeds 4,1V level. Then I watched videos from Bjorn Nyland with his MS P85 (MF), he achieves voltages like 4,18 - 4,19V. Therefore I think, this might add approx 10% more SOC. But I have noticed him to be using SW 10.2 2020.48.37.1 but I have 2020.48.37.8 as actual.
Is this the reason the voltage is lower?
I'm not disappointed by the battery state, it now seems I simply can't fully charge it, therefore I think I can afford to charge it to almost full (like 90%SOC) everytime without any potential damage. Just curious whether the voltage cap is common for all vehicles with this SW revision or not.
Thanks a lot for your tips or experience.

I'm not sure that 0.08V is going to produce another 10% of kWh. The voltage goes up very quickly when the pack reaches full capacity. It may only be 1% or less.

How many km do you have on your MS?
Yes, above 4,2V it starts going quickly, but charging to 4,1 vs 4,2V can make bigger difference I believe. Nevertheless it's not healthy for the battery for sure. I have now almost 210k km, bought few months ago with 200k km. Battery was replaced at 190k km, so I'm not sure, how much is this one refurbished worn. SMT shows almost 700 charging cycles with 26,5MWh done on AC, 6,5MWh DC and 13,5 is regen. According to charged energy of 33MWh and cons of approx 22kWh/100 I'd say the second battery might have like 150k km done, but it doesn't correspond with it's degradation which seems to be quite high..