Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Normal voltage drop in a house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the extra 3 kW from the immersion

Just in case relevant ...

We schedule our immersion to start latest possible time, during Off Peak, to be certain to complete by end of Off Peak. So that the water will remain hottest for when we get up, and not heat-early and then potentially "top-up-a-bit" later on in the night.

That might avoid the car charging slot or, worse case, the car would have plenty of time to charge before it then drops out as the immersion comes on stream, so you'd have "some charge" is that happened.

I've read elsewhere that the car will throttle if the initial voltage drops by 10% or more. My own observations seem to confirm this. If I put the oven on as I start the car charging and then turn the oven off as the charge ramps up, the car will quite happily continue at 32A even with the voltage down to 195V. But without the oven trick, it'll throttle down to 24A even when the voltage is a comparatively healthy 215V. My wife's ID3 was quite happy though with large voltage swings and just carried on charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado