Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with a standard BS1363 (household 3 prong) socket - review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that you mentioned it, yea the BS1363 sockets that I see ARE blackened on most of them.... I guess that makes sense; people wouldn't run a hair dryer out of a regular socket for 24 hours...

In my case, since my daily mileage is low, though I am using a cable with 16A capacity, I just limit the charging current below 10A. I park in my office during daytime for 8 hours or more. The day time charging has already been sufficient for me.

In my case, since my daily mileage is low, though I am using a cable with 16A capacity, I just limit the charging current below 10A. I park in my office during daytime for 8 hours or more. The day time charging has already been sufficient for me.

Yea office hours charging works for me too. I had about 230km range left and I got to Wanchai Eagle Center in the morning for a tradeshow; did the show and had dinner with staff and it got charged to 352km of range after 12 hours. Saved a trip to Supercharger =)

sorry.. a bit new here.....to sum up..there are 4 main charging options ?
1) Superchargers
2) At Home/office with the wall connector (provided)
3) Public /household standard 3 prong.....need the BS1363 cable....speed might depends if they are slow/medium plugs/the power supply?
4) certain CHadeMO public chargers, need the ChadeMO adaptor

Thanks!

As mentioned in #11 by Mark, the using of 13A cable should be with some cautions. The ordinary 13A domestic wall socket is not designed for heavy duty 7 x 24 usage. I will suggest the charging current should be no more than 10A. On the other hand, in the government car parks, the 13A slow charging plot installed by EMSD, full 13A charging could be OK - I only tested it for 3 hours - slowly warm and not hot on the plug.

å°é©¬å“¥ç‰¹æ–¯æ‹‰æ±½è½¦ç”¨å“ 移动 tesla 充电器 旅行家用便æºå……æ­£å“-æ·˜å®ç½‘å…¨çƒç«™

You have to change the plug into a UK 13A plug. There are descriptions about how to modify the plug in the Tesla FB group. As I repeatedly mentioned in this forum, ordinary household 13A socket is not designed for 7x24 heavy duty use. The wiring behind the domestic 13A wall socket is much thinner though the Taobao cable is up to specification. Therefore, as a start, try to limit the charging current to 10A first.