Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Question. I put my destination in M3 and it said it takes about 12.5 hours (3 charge stops). When I use ABRP. It said 14.5 hours (4 stops). What should I follow?

Thanks

Whatever you are most comfortable with. ABRP is probably doing a better job of estimating consumption based on the speed you wish to travel, temperature, etc. But without knowing the details, no one here can take an informed stab at answering your question.

Since it's the same route, just get going. See if the first charging station is the same for both. If it is, write down what each is saying your arrival charge should be and see which program estimates better for your driving style. Also document how much charge each one is asking you to put in at each stop.

Tesla uses more "typical" values where ABRP allows to change everything from reference consumption to headwind to extra weight to rain/dry conditions, etc. Set these values as you see them and then begin the trip....you'll become familiar quickly which one works better for your driving habits.

• Helpful
Reactions: RubberToe
Perhaps you are already doing this, but when using ABRP, make sure you select the detailed settings display. Then make sure all of the settings are as accurate as possible. For example, make sure your top speed and extra weight settings are accurate.

Perhaps you are already doing this, but when using ABRP, make sure you select the detailed settings display. Then make sure all of the settings are as accurate as possible. For example, make sure your top speed and extra weight settings are accurate.

Great point. My wife and I should step on the scale and add extra weight to our calculations after the last two months of inactivity!

Hi. Question. I put my destination in M3 and it said it takes about 12.5 hours (3 charge stops). When I use ABRP. It said 14.5 hours (4 stops). What should I follow?

Thanks

The Tesla nav seems to optimize for fewest charging stops, while ABRP optimizes for shortest trip time. Likely ABRP is suggesting charging less at each stop to take advantage of higher charging rates at lower SOCs. It's personal preference, but the Tesla philosophy is more influenced by the psychology of trying to make charging seem like less of a chore, hence fewer overall stops. I personally like the ABRP approach which minimizes trip time.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

Thanks
The better your inputs, in ABRP, the better your result. The car optimizes for fewer stops, while ABRP optimizes for least amount of time. It fits that the car predicts 3 stops to ABRP's 4. But it doesn't make sense that ABRP is predicting more time than the car. Your inputs are probably off.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin