Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheap HUD display option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm completely used to not having a dashboard and speedometer in front of me, though as a geek the thought of a heads up display is still enticing.

So I spent $30 and got myself one of those HUD units that uses GPS to display speed and direction.

View media item 118469
The unit is almost the size as a small phone, and the digits are large and legible.

View media item 118468
You can play around with placement to determine where the digits are reflected off the windshield. The dash on the Model 3 is so low that you end up seeing the display of the HUD unit itself. I ended up putting a small cardboard cutout in front of the HUD to block off the light from the unit.

The display always lag behind by a second or two, but it's not that bad. I'm happy with the toy, but I do want to find a better way to manage the power cable.

I bought my unit through Amazon from a seller called ITEQ. Seems like Pyle and many other sellers sell the exact same model. If you search for "HUD GPS" on Amazon it'll be on the first page.

The speed accuracy is surprisingly good. There is a setting to adjust speed readout but I don't need to change anything. During auto-pilot the speed is always identical.

I try to avoid posting the link as most forums frown upon posting product links as they're potentially advertising.