Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check battery percentage from a remote location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your concern, that was the very first thing I did when driving my M3 in the garage the very first time. I back it in, the trunk can be opened with plenty of room around.
I put an adhesive red tape where the left wheels would be (2 to 3 inches on the right of the tape). This way, I can accurately when backing it inside, just one shot.
And the display also shows how far the rear is from the first obstacle (STOP at 24 inches).
I love my M3. I currently drive an Infinity SUV, my son car, parking inside my son's garage is a pain as it's front camera does not show clearly objects in front. That makes me appreciate the Tesla even more.

Even if you left your car plugged into a wall or mobile connector, the HV battery will lose some charge over time. Especially if you use the app to check the status of the car. There's several hundred watts of power used up when the vehicle is "awake" and it will continue to consume power until it goes to "sleep" after some given amount of time (minutes, not hours). Assuming that you do not have Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat protection enabled, there's very little power used. But when you check in with your app to see what the battery level is, or play with opening and closing the trunk, it wakes up again and start draining some more power.

After some loss of battery power, and assuming your car is plugged in, it will start to charge, up to the last limit you've set. I don't charge at home myself but I believe a loss of 5-10% will be enough to trigger the start of a charging session.

The reason for opening this thread is to ask if I can monitor SoC remotely. I am a 3 weeks old Tesla owner, only drove it 3 times in the first week. Next two weeks I am out of town, very curious about how remote control works. My son was home this weekend and confirmed that the trunk does open and close when I command it with my phone.
Good to know everything works as expected. The SoC drops just 2% in the last 10 days while sitting in the garage.

Reactions: ATPMSD
If your car does not have an LFP battery then charging to 100% was not the best idea. 80% would have been better.
For long term parking, it is probably best to leave the car plugged in with the charge target set to <= 55% (NCA battery) or <= 70% (LFP battery) if you are concerned about capacity loss. For LFP battery cars, you can charge it back up to 100% when you get back to resync the BMS if you are concerned about that.