Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check battery percentage from a remote location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@kimwin

FYI, if you have Sentry and overheat protection turned off, the car will draw less than 1 kWh per day. So even if you have the smaller 57.5 kWh battery you can go away for a long time.

Consider if you started with the battery at 80% (46 kWh) and left it for 30-days, the battery would be more than 16 kWh when you returned, which is 28% SOC. Assuming you did not open the app and check it continuously!

I always suggest testing yourself over a long weekend to confirm and to give yourself confidence.

I open the app. It shows 98%. How does the app get that ? I am very curious as I am couple hundreds miles away from it.
I am afraid 98% is the number when I left home. And that's all the app remembers.
It gets that by waking up your car and connecting to it. The more you check it, the more you will induce battery drain as the car loses more battery when awake, than when asleep.

As to "my screen recommends charging to 100% once a week", yes, it does, for Model 3 RWD / Standard range vehicles. Whether people actually agree with Teslas chjarging recommendations / what percentage to charge to, is the subject of thousands (no exaggeration, thousands) of posts on this website.

As to your original question, you find the percentage of charge by opening the app, as mentioned by others. When the app shows your car with status "parked" it has been woken up and is providing information from the time it was woken up (right then).

I open the app. It shows 98%. How does the app get that ? I am very curious as I am couple hundreds miles away from it.
The car is connected to the internet, and your phone is connected to the internet. The phone is just connecting to the servers at Tesla's headquarters, and asking to check the car. It communicates with the car to get the car to report its status. You can do lots of things from the other side of the world if your phone and the car both have internet connections. You can remotely unlock the doors. You can remotely activate driving, etc. if you have the internet connection to get the commands to the car.

The car is connected to the internet, and your phone is connected to the internet. The phone is just connecting to the servers at Tesla's headquarters, and asking to check the car. It communicates with the car to get the car to report its status. You can do lots of things from the other side of the world if your phone and the car both have internet connections. You can remotely unlock the doors. You can remotely activate driving, etc. if you have the internet connection to get the commands to the car.
Thanks so much for this very USEFUL info. It opens up lots of possibilities.

• Funny
Reactions: GHammer
Note that the Tesla uses AT&T network connectivity. So even here in the South Bay, there may be some random spots where you will lose signal.
Not sure of the point you are making here. If the car is parked it will of course use the AT&T network or WiFi, so that should not be an issue - unless the car is in motion. The app uses whatever cell service or WiFi is active on the phone; works just fine internationally as well.

The point is that there may be some houses in this area that don't have AT&T coverage.

edit: And just because the car may be parked somewhere, there's no guarantee that there will be a recognized WiFi signal to attach itself to.
True, but I was thinking more like the OP’s car is at his home and, therefore, WiFi should be available. But your point is well taken.

Oh, no doubt the OP's car is probably sitting in their garage or driveway. I was merely pointing out that the previous advice about the car being connected to the internet may not always be true. I've had AT&T cell phones since they were known here as PacBell Wireless (and then Cingular). While the 5G and 4G LTE coverage is much improved over the old 2G and 3G systems, there are still some weak spots.

My car is at home, my home use T mobile. My M3 is not connected to my home WiFi because I have not set it up that way.

It's nicer to have the car on home-wifi since that's typically a stronger connection.

But the car has a built in mobile data system - running on the same towers your cell phone uses, with similar mostly-good but not perfect coverage and bandwidth.

I am hundreds miles away from car at home.. I use the app to open the trunk. The app shows trunk open. Then I tell it to close it which it get closed.
Whether it really did it or not, I don't know. Will do again when my son goes home to confirm.