Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Check Power Source" warning from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started getting this under the Charging section of the app. It's only there for a couple seconds after the app wakes up the car then it goes away and says, stopped (Charging is scheduled to start at Midnight).

I'm wondering if this is something new with the latest update and anyone else is getting it or, is it something else or, did I just not notice it and it's normal behavior.

Haven't had any charging issues with the car.

This notification is related to insufficient power available for the car to charge. So for example when household equipment that is on the same circuit or power group (sorry for the way I describe this) like microwaves or washing machines are using a lot of power this message appears in the app. Nothing to worry about, other then you might want to rewire parts of your power groups when possible to allow for parallel usage? Here in NL I have 3x 25A so I rewired my power distribution unit in such a way that I have optimal distribution between the car and all other equipment I have at home (in case they all draw power simultaneously). I also installed a load balancer that communicates with the charge unit for the car, so that the car limits the power it draws when there is overall high usage in the house. This is to prevent the circuit to break/overload.

Is it possible for a circuit to lose power over time ????? I've only had the X a few months and the 50 amp plug just a few weeks (It's on its own dedicated breaker).

Also, wouldn't the message stay on ??? As opposed to being on for a couple of seconds then go back to "stopped", waiting for the scheduled to charge time.

I don't think I was getting this message when I first started charging.

I don’t believe a circuit is able to loose power. Regarding your second question; not sure if the message should normally stay on. Maybe other forum members have an answer to that. The reason why I don’t expect the message to stay on in my situation is because the load balancer informs the car about the available amount of power and then the car throttles down what it consumes, hence the message stops.

I think you can sort out what part of your charging system is causing this by swapping out equivalent pieces until you isolate it. You ruled out the adapter part of the mobile charger already. That was a good first try.

If it turns out you be your wiring or plug, it might be due to loose wiring connectors. Sometimes installers don't torque them to the right setting and they loosen up after a month or so.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Just experienced this today with the 40 amp corded mobile connector.
Corded Mobile Connector
However when I went to investigate I observed that the 50 amp breaker was tripped. Reset it and started charging again. Same thing happened again after a bit. Plugged in my 32 amp mobile connector bundle (&14-50 adapter) that came with my Model S.
Problem did not reoccur. Not sure why the breaker tripped. Issue with the charger or the circuit. I plan to retest the 40 amp charger at another location next week. Any thoughts...???

You could try using the 40 amp corded mobile connector and lower the power consumption from the car (in the Charging menu). See if the 50 amp breaker still trips. If not, then it could be that the 40 amp corded mobile connector allows the car to draw too much power then is available behind the 50 amp breaker, compared to what the 32 amp mobile connector can draw.

• Helpful
Reactions: Daniellane
You could try using the 40 amp corded mobile connector and lower the power consumption from the car (in the Charging menu). See if the 50 amp breaker still trips. If not, then it could be that the 40 amp corded mobile connector allows the car to draw too much power then is available behind the 50 amp breaker, compared to what the 32 amp mobile connector can draw.
Thanks for the suggestion...
Testing your theory now.
C1D54AA6-E7D3-4B34-9102-2E9A3ADB05C5.jpeg

So far, 32 amps not tripping the 50 amp breaker. So issue pointing to a breaker or wiring issue? 40 amp load producing enough heat to trip a 50 amp breaker.
Had this 14-50, wiring & breaker installed a few years ago. No issues until now.

Just experienced this today with the 40 amp corded mobile connector.
Corded Mobile Connector
However when I went to investigate I observed that the 50 amp breaker was tripped. Reset it and started charging again. Same thing happened again after a bit. Plugged in my 32 amp mobile connector bundle (&14-50 adapter) that came with my Model S.
Problem did not reoccur. Not sure why the breaker tripped. Issue with the charger or the circuit. I plan to retest the 40 amp charger at another location next week. Any thoughts...???

Was the breaker hot? I had a 50 amp that would trip out early if the ambient temperature was high (over 100°F in my garage). It also could be caused by a loose connection causing the breaker to heat up prematurely (this is bad and should be fixed ASAP). The breaker could just be worn out and prone to trip early. But normally, 40 amps should not trip a 50 amp breaker.

Added ~19 miles @ 32 amps, increased to 40 amps as a control test.
4066F897-1EB1-4118-A3DC-F031939F322A.jpeg

Added another 20 miles. Then, breaker tripped.
Got this message...
3F429991-0D27-4BA8-BF72-AC6C2FDD3BF9.jpeg

app shows “Check power source”:
4D32DB2B-7BCC-4735-8E19-E32BB0FA7E5F.jpeg

I’ll need to retest it on the 14-50 at another location to be sure that the corded mobile connector is not the source of the problem.

Was the breaker hot? I had a 50 amp that would trip out early if the ambient temperature was high (over 100°F in my garage). It also could be caused by a loose connection causing the breaker to heat up prematurely (this is bad and should be fixed ASAP). The breaker could just be worn out and prone to trip early. But normally, 40 amps should not trip a 50 amp breaker.
Breaker was warm. I plan to contact the electrician that installed it once I am sure that my mobile connector isn’t the problem.

From your screen shot, that is not where I get the warning. The warning I see comes down lower in the app under the "Charging" header. It only stays on for a couple seconds then changes to "stopped" (scheduled charging). Car charges fine.

Breaker was warm. I plan to contact the electrician that installed it once I am sure that my mobile connector isn’t the problem.
Update:
Tested my Corded Mobile Connector (40amps) on a 14-50 at a different location.
No issues at all after adding over 50 miles.
So clearly an issue with the the circuit. (Breaker, wiring...) at the other location.

Just had this issue couple weeks ago. I thought it was a wiring or house issue. I tried charging at different locations but it worked fine, just not at home. I had a Tesla mobile technician do a house call, might be HPWC. He tested part that gets plugged into the tesla and showed me that it was cracked. We sometimes just drop it on the floor instead of hanging it back up. Too many drops or might have gotten ran over on the driveway by one of our other cars. Either way, it was cracked right at the handle that slots into the Tesla. We had to replace HPWC. Works fine now

Just had this issue couple weeks ago. I thought it was a wiring or house issue. I tried charging at different locations but it worked fine, just not at home. I had a Tesla mobile technician do a house call, might be HPWC. He tested part that gets plugged into the tesla and showed me that it was cracked. We sometimes just drop it on the floor instead of hanging it back up. Too many drops or might have gotten ran over on the driveway by one of our other cars. Either way, it was cracked right at the handle that slots into the Tesla. We had to replace HPWC. Works fine now
My case is a little different because I tested the same charger plugged into two different circuits with 14-50 receptacles. On one it only works a 32 A on the other it works at its max 40 A. So definitely the circuit in my situation and not the charger.

Update:
Tested my Corded Mobile Connector (40amps) on a 14-50 at a different location.
No issues at all after adding over 50 miles.
So clearly an issue with the the circuit. (Breaker, wiring...) at the other location.
UPDATE:
I had an electrician come out and replace the breaker. He checked the connections on the 14-50 receptacle and found no issues. Seems as though the the problem is now solved. Only one test so far (1hr, 25 minutes of charging at 40A) Thanks to all for your input.